Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niff9703 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Faint Positive tests and then negative tests
    Here is my situation.

First of all, you should know that I'm on Metformin because I have very irregular periods and am borderline PCOS.

Now for the tests. The first day of my last period was Oct 21st. This is not uncommon for me to be this late, but I took a test anyway to see if I was pregnant. Here are the results and brands in order.

Thursday Dec 14th ~ evening ~ equate +/- ~the pink that goes across the test took a while to go across and for a split second, I thought that I seen a faint vertical line and a faint horizontal line. However 4-5 minutes later when the control line finally appeared, there were NO lines in the results window.

Monday Dec 18th ~ first morning pee ~ took 2nd equate test in box ~ After urinating on the stick, I sat the test flat on the counter and started to wash my hands. I no more put soap on my hands and seen a very faint, but distinct plus sign. I called my fiancé into the room and he also seen the plus sign but was not convinced. He wanted to wait until we took another test. I showed it to several of my friends and coworkers and they too seen the plus (although) very faint. (Therefore, I wasn't imagining the plus.)

Monday evening ~ One Step Pregnancy ~ took test and no line showed up in the control window.

Tuesday Dec 19th ~ first morning pee ~ took 2nd One Step Pregnancy test ~ again, no line showed up in control window.

On the way to work, I stopped by Walmart and picked up another Equate test and ClearBlue Easy Digital. When I got to work, I peed in a cup this time and held the sticks in the urine for the time that it said and both came back negative and not pregnant.

So, my question is... with both of the last two being negative, should I just believe those and not worry about it, or because I had the one positive, should I keep testing? I'm so confused and just want to know for sure.
    LouLou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
    First let me address the Metformin issue. You say that you are taking it for irregular periods and borderline PCOS? Are you diabetic? Metformin is used for Type II Diabetes. I have not heard of any research for any other diagnosis that Metformin might be prescribed for.

Now on to the pregnancy issue. First morning urine is the most reliable as it contains the highest concentration of HCG, the pregnancy hormone. Next, let me tell you that many pregnancy tests have a higher false negative rate than false positives.

Having said that I believe you should make an appointment with your physician for a serum blood test to determine if you are or are not pregnant. Until that time it is best to treat yourself as if you are pregnant.
    Augustgal Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by niff9703
    Here is my situation.

First of all, you should know that I'm on Metformin because I have very irregular periods and am borderline PCOS.

Now for the tests. The first day of my last period was Oct 21st. This is not uncommon for me to be this late, but I took a test anyway to see if I was pregnant. Here are the results and brands in order.

Thursday Dec 14th ~ evening ~ equate +/- ~the pink that goes across the test took a while to go across and for a split second, I thought that I seen a faint vertical line and a faint horizontal line. However 4-5 minutes later when the control line finally appeared, there were NO lines in the results window.

Monday Dec 18th ~ first morning pee ~ took 2nd equate test in box ~ After urinating on the stick, I sat the test flat on the counter and started to wash my hands. I no more put soap on my hands and seen a very faint, but distinct plus sign. I called my fiance into the room and he also seen the plus sign but was not convinced. He wanted to wait until we took another test. I showed it to several of my friends and coworkers and they too seen the plus (although) very faint. (Therefore, I wasn't imagining the plus.)

Monday evening ~ One Step Pregnancy ~ took test and no line showed up in the control window.

Tuesday Dec 19th ~ first morning pee ~ took 2nd One Step Pregnancy test ~ again, no line showed up in control window.

On the way to work, I stopped by Walmart and picked up another Equate test and ClearBlue Easy Digital. When I got to work, I peed in a cup this time and held the sticks in the urine for the time that it said and both came back negative and not pregnant.

So, my question is...with both of the last two being negative, should I just believe those and not worry about it, or because I had the one positive, should I keep testing? I'm so confused and just want to know for sure.
    Maybe walmart brand is not the best brand to determine early pregnancy either... EPT or other may detect lower lever of hormone... OR just go to Dr/wait some more
    confussed? Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Someone help me: I had a faint positive and than 2 negative hpt. I am having all the symptoms of pregnancy. But I went to the er 6 days before I tested and they did a ultersound and they didn't tell my I was pregnant. So I am so confuessed. Could it just be to early to test or could I be pregnant. If I am I am only like 3 weeks.
    whitney17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
    I am going through all of the same things, I have been looking for advice through many of these forums, but I can't help but notice that no one responds with the results I would really like to know how things turned out for you ladies :) I am also two weeks late and took one pregnancy test that was a faint positive, then two that were negative... please help anyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Repeated Positive Ovulation Tests [ 8 Answers ]

Here I am again - the ongoing sagga of trying to get pregnant again:) My question is about ovulation. I am on my third round of Clomid - & I have taken the at home ovulation tests & have gotten a positive result for the last 5 days. I called my doctor & they want me to come in and have some...

Missed Period for 2 months but tests are NEGATIVE [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, Iam 22 and Iam really nervouse and scared.. Iam married but me and my husband began to use condoms instead of any birth control pill or patches. Before I got married and began to use the Ortha Evora Patches I sometimes had irregular periods( I wouldn't get it for weeks or even a few...

Divisibility Tests [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a quick test for divisibility by 7? I've mastered the tests for divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 and any composite number beyond 11. I know that a test for 7 exisits and I'd like to know what it is. Thanks.

Blood tests- please help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got tested at a dept of health facility in the DC area a few weeks ago.A week after I had sorethroat and mild cold.I went back and asked the nurse if there was a chance I might have been contaminated by someone else's needle. She said NO... but I am very concerned that she might have drawn...

View more questions Search