Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
    I'm curious to know if, in contesting a civil lawsuit (amount just over $5,000), it's
    I'm curious to know if, in contesting a civil lawsuit (amount just over $5,000), it's advantageous to request a trial by jury or not. What I mean by "advanageous" is, will it cause the matter to become more complicated for the plaintiff to pursue (thereby maybe prompting them to drop it) and am I more likely to receive "mercy" if the matter is heard by a jury as opposed to not? Thank you.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Aug 17, 2010, 01:10 PM

The general rule is that if you have a sympathetic case, you want to be in front of a jury. If you have a case that is strong on the law, you want a judge.

Most of the time, defendants will be the ones that ask for a bench trial because they want to protect themselves froma runaway jury or from sympathy taking over.

Other than the above, a jury trial will cost more (I think its 95 bucks in NY) and might add an extra hour to an extra day to the trial (for selection of the jury).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a civil lawsuit be on a criminal record? [ 9 Answers ]

I got caught stealing a pair of shorts for 20 dollars but because it was my first me they weren't too hard on me. I filled out paperwork, but nothing serious, and added me to banned thing.. this is my first serious*and only* time this has happen. He said it would just be a civil lawsuit or...

Civil lawsuit Next Step [ 3 Answers ]

I was a partner in a nightclub but due to the problems I was having I withdrew from the partnership. I filed a civil lawsuit to attempt to get my capital investment and percentage due me. The respondent responsed denying everything. Because I am handling this on my own, the clerk said I now...

Civil lawsuit [ 4 Answers ]

What is a civil lawsuit vs. other type of suit

Civil lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently unemployed and am being sued by a credit card company for non payment. What is the worst thing they can do to me. I co-own a house and have a car and not much else. I am nervous. Any advice?:confused:

Civil Lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my ex landlord (I'm in Union county NJ) had issued a bank levy against my checking acct. I wasn't served a summons, in fact the two addresses she sent the summons was my prior address and a family friend. Suffice to say I never received anything and a default...

View more questions Search