Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjtb65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Relenquishing parental rights of an adopted child in Texas
    My ex-husband and I were married for 15 years. He adopted my two children from my previous marriage. We are now divorced. At the time of our divorce, both of our minor children lived with him. In May, the daughter that he adopted, moved back with me. I have contacted my lawyer about child support. He stated that his lawyer said that he could relinquish his parental rights and not have to pay child support. I need to know if this is correct. This is in Texas courts.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pjtb65 View Post
    He stated that his lawyer said that he could relinquish his parental rights and not have to pay child support. I need to know if this is correct. This is in Texas courts.
    Short answer-NO!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 09:10 AM

If his lawyer told him this he should be disbarred. Most likely your husband lied to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2010, 09:42 AM

As I recall, TX is one of the states that does terminate BOTH rights and responsibilities when a TPR is issued. So, if the attorney told him that if his rights were terminated, he wouldn't have to pay support, that would be true. But his attorney probably also told him that he stands almost no chance of getting his rights terminated. He cannot voluntary just relinquish his rights. Only a court can terminate rights. And a court is not going to terminate rights just to let him out of paying support.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    And a court is not going to terminate rights just to let him out of paying support.
    oops...ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScottGem again.
    However it is true. The taxpayers are not obligated to support children whose parents do not want to pay for their upbringing.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 12:47 PM

PS--the fact that the child is adopted has NOTHING to do with this. Adopted children and biological children have the SAME legal standing in the eyes of the court.

Even more--he willingly CHOSE to become the legal parent of his child. He can't just walk away now that he doesn't want to pay child support.

Get a lawyer yourself--if he's got one going into all of this, you'll want one yourself to be on equal footing with him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 06:56 PM

He is bluffing, most likely did not even talk to an attorney, if he did, he is just trying to get you not to file.

I will assume you don't have an attorney ? Get one, and file
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Please read this again...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As I recall, TX is one of the states that does terminate BOTH rights and responsibilities when a TPR is issued. So, if the attorney told him that if his rights were terminated, he wouldn't have to pay support, that would be true. But his attorney probably also told him that he stands almost no chance of getting his rights terminated. He cannot voluntary just relinquish his rights. Only a court can terminate rights. And a court is not going to terminate rights just to let him out of paying support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating parental rights and child support in Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I have cousdy of my 10 year old grandaughter her mom is a drug user and felon and has no visitataion rights unless supersived by me. Mom wants to termadate her rights so she don't have to pay child support she cares more about her money than her daughter. I agree to this, but in the state of Texas...

Texas reinstate parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a parental rights can be reinstated after 5 years. There are two children involved, H - 15 years old (died Sept 30, 2009) and C 14 years old. The aunt on the father's side has had custody of twice now. Once from jan 2001 through oct 2003, cps step in when H got alcohol...

Adopted child termination of parental rights [ 25 Answers ]

Okay I have a more difficult scenario to deal with. At 20 years of age, I fulfilled the father role of my wife's daughter. I was in the military at the time. I felt it was right to adopt her (military for free), and make our family whole. She was 7 at the time. I also shared 2 children with...

Relenquishing Rights [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to get my daughter's father to sign over his rights to my fiancé after we are married. He has already agreed to sign them over and my fiancé has agreed to adopt my daughter after we get married which will be about a year or so. I know that I have to go to an attorney to get the...

Termination of Parental Rights in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Once the parental rights of the biological parents have been terminated, does that mean the relationship of all biological relatives are also terminated?

View more questions Search