Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
    How does the speed differ from average velocity?
    How does the speed differ from average velocity?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 06:51 PM

Velocity(speed) is variable over time.(Takes time to get up to speed)
    Average velocity is the average over time.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Aug 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
    This actually should be under physics, and as it is stated, I'm not really sure what the question is, but if I remember my basic physics...

Velocity has a specific direction. Speed does not. They are not equivalent. Ya' got to be careful about that.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:14 PM

Don't know why I thought they were the same?
    Speed and Velocity
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 01:50 PM

Speed is indifferent to direction yes, but also don't forget that speed is an instantaneous unit.

Average velocity is the total distance from start divided by the time it took to get there.

For example some can travel 40 miles east at 40 miles per hour and then 40 miles west at 80 miles per hour. The speed east is 40 mph, the speed west is 80 mph, the average speed would be 53 and a third mph, however the average velocity would be 0. This is because the end distance is 0 from the start.

Make sense?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Aug 22, 2010, 03:52 PM

My point was that writing "...velocity (speed)..." is misleading because it indicates that velocity and speed are equivalent in meaning.

Concur with Infojunkie except to point out the only time I've ever seen that example of "velocity" used was to provide an example of the meaning of "velocity", but perhaps I've lived a protected life. ;-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Average speed and average velocity [ 2 Answers ]

Every morning you jog around 250 meter track four times in 30 minutes. What is your average speed and average velocity?

How to find final speed when initial speed and average speed is given [ 5 Answers ]

a car travels a certain distance with a speed of 40m/s and returns with a speed 'u'. If the average speed for the whole journey is 48m/sec what is the value of'u'?

Velocity.average speed [ 1 Answers ]

A single point on a distance time graph tells the a.instantaneous speed b. average speed c.inertia d.average velocity

Average speed/average velocity [ 1 Answers ]

A horse canters away from its trainer in a straight line, moving 150 m away in 19.0 s. It then turns abruptly and gallops halfway back in 4.6 s. (a) Calculate its average speed. m/s (b) Calculate its average velocity for the entire trip, using "away from the trainer" as the positive...

Average speed and velocity [ 1 Answers ]

Radio waves travel at a speed of light, approximately 186000 miles per second. How long does it take for a radio message to travel from earth to the moon and back?

View more questions Search