Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2010, 02:30 PM
    Ear infections after tubes??
    My 10 month old has a terrible ear infection in her right ear, the doctor tubed her ears 3 weeks ago and now she has a ear infection again! Does this happen often I thought she wouldn't have anymore infections in her ears. Does anyone know if this is common
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 12:19 AM

Are you talking about Grommets?

I can only speak from my own experience,which is my daughter had them 3 times before the ear infections stopped.

Go back to the gp,and ask questions and find out what's the next step.

Aug 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    are you talking about Grommets?

i can only speak from my own experience,which is my daughter had them 3 times before the ear infections stopped.

go back to the gp,and ask questions and find out whats the next step.
    Thanks! This really stinks, my poor baby is misrible and now I am struggling to control her temp and force fluids... I can't believe this is still going on I thought it would all be over when we got the tubes...
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 12:06 PM

Every child is different,and its been 18 years since my daughter had grommets.

It did take 3 attempts,and I still remember the gunk that came out of her ears.

Keep talking to the doctor,keep gettingher checked,don't let the temp get too high,if you can't control it,striaght to the hospital or doctor.

Find out what the next step is,and what their plan is for your daughter.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 02:09 PM

Is there any smoking in the house? If so, this needs to stop. Also, if anyone does smoke they need to change their clothes when they come back inside.

Have you been carefully bathing her and making sure NO water gets into the ear?

Is the head of her crib raised? If not, put a pillow or two between the springs and the mattress.

Aug 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Is there any smoking in the house? If so, this needs to stop. Also, if anyone does smoke they need to change their clothes when they come back inside.

Have you been carefully bathing her and making sure NO water gets into the ear?

Is the head of her crib raised? If not, put a pillow or two between the springs and the mattress.
    My grandmother smokes outside of course and I will have her change clothes, and yes her bed is elevated, I am extremely careful with her ears in the tube no dunking, pouring water over her head I just soap her up then remove it with a damp cloth
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2010, 02:28 PM

You need to take your baby back to see her physician.

* The tube could be blocked. Ear tubes provide a tunnel for fluid to drain. Mucous and ear wax can sometimes block these very tiny tubes, rendering them ineffective at draining fluid.

* She may have a large amount of fluid accumulation. Tubes can only transfer so much fluid at one time. Sometimes, the fluid accumulates within the middle ear so fast that complete drainage cannot occur. Then, if bacteria gets in you end up with an infection.

* Bacteria sometimes makes it way through the tube.

As you can see, ear tubes only help decrease the number of ear infections, not completely eliminate them. Tubes aren't perfect but are the best option for many children who have had unrelenting ear infections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can ear infections cause you to go deaf? [ 11 Answers ]

My dad had (has?) an ear infection. I think it started last weekend. It was a few days before he could get it checked, and when he did, he went to the walk-in clinic. They prescribed him antibiotics, and the pain has stopped. However, he's deaf in one ear. It's really scaring him, and as time...

Liquid in middle ear caused by shower spray directly in ear. [ 2 Answers ]

I sprayed the shower spray in my ears. The result is I have liquid in my middle ear. I have lost some of my hearing in both ears. I am now using a nose spray prescribed by the doctor. Has anyone else ever done this stupid thing and does anyone know what the outcome might be? Ty ...

My son's ear tubes are falling out is that normal [ 1 Answers ]

My 6yr. Son has had his ear tubes since July 2009. A few days ago I noticed that his left ear have been bothering him I noticed that a tiny green tube is in his ear. So I want to know is this the way the tube falls out slowly I have been given him tylenol for the minor pain his been having.

Plugged ear tubes eas canal tubes don't flap when checked [ 2 Answers ]

When the Dr. checks my ears, the tubes don't move like they're supposed to move. Can surgery be done?

Ear Infections [ 2 Answers ]

My 5 month old has his first ear infection and has been prescribed antibiotics. I know as an adult when I feel ill, I lose my appetite a little... My baby has been eating a little bit less than normal, but he is still eating. When does it become a concern if his appetite doesn't return to normal?...

View more questions Search