Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happyperson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2003, 06:06 AM
    Bible question
    :) Hello everyone,

I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things?

Thanks,
    Happyperson
    ajackson Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2003, 08:41 AM
    Bible question
    Hi;

The theme of the Bible is: It is God's love letter to us about Jesus. Thus, the Bible is a roadmap that guides us and teaches us how to relate to God, how to relate to others and how to relate to ourselves. :)

Arthur
    juanruiz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2003, 01:33 PM
    Bible question
    So let's all go out now and kill us some Canaanites!
    ysicj Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2004, 06:14 PM
    Bible question
    The purpose of all creation is to glorify God. Man's salvation or damnation will accomplish this either way. The Bible is part of God's plan as he has chosen that his desire and plan of salvation be by his grace, not man's works, through faith.

So in understanding the way he deals with man you must remember that all things are design and performed with the result of glorifying God and to get man to put his faith in him.

God could simply open the heavens at any time he liked and introduce himself, but this is not how he has decided to glorify himself. It is like the Titanic, once someone opened there month and made the statement that she was unsinkable or not even God could sink her, she was doomed, regardless how many lives would be lost.

Jan 6, 2004, 07:46 AM
    Bible question
    Very good reply. I loved your analysis with the titantic.

In His grip!

Arthur

Jan 6, 2004, 03:44 PM
    Bible question
    Unfortunately, not many really understand this principle of God's plan and word. His Glory comes first, then man's salvation, e.g. to deny that God is in charge, even of the evil, is to deny him his glory, 9-11, etc. Those who do so have a fanciful Santa for a God.

]Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done [it]?
    Graham3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2004, 06:56 PM
    Bible question
    Hi

The evil which consists in the defect of action is always caused by the defect of the agent. But in God there is no defect, but the highest perfection, Hence, the evil which consists in defect of action, or which is caused by defect of the agent, is not reduced to God as to its cause.

But the evil which consists in the corruption of some things is reduced to God as the cause. And this appears as regards both natural things and voluntary things. For it was said that some agent inasmuch as it produces by its power a form to which follows corruption and defect, causes by its power that corruption and defect. But it is manifest that the form which God chiefly intends in things created is the good of the order of the universe. Now, the order of the universe requires that there should be some things that can, and do sometimes, fail. And thus God, by causing in things the good of the order of the universe, consequently and as it were by accident, causes the corruptions of things, according to 1 Kgs. 2:6: "The Lord killeth and maketh alive." But when we read that "God hath not made death" (Wis. 1:13), the sense is that God does not will death for its own sake. Nevertheless the order of justice belongs to the order of the universe; and this requires that penalty should be dealt out to sinners. And so God is the author of the evil which is Penalty, but not of the evil which is fault, by reason of what is said above.

These passages refer to the evil of penalty, and not to the evil of fault.
    The effect of the deficient secondary cause is reduced to the first non-deficient cause as regards what it has of being and perfection, but not as regards what it has of defect; just as whatever there is of motion in the act of limping is caused by the motive power, whereas what there is of obliqueness in it does not come from the motive power, but from the curvature of the leg. And, likewise, whatever there is of being and action in a bad action, is reduced to God as the cause; whereas whatever defect is in it is NOT caused by God, but by the deficient secondary cause.

The sinking of a ship is attributed to the sailor as the cause, from the fact that he does not fulfil what the safety of the ship requires; but God does not fail in doing what is necessary for the safety of all. Hence there is no parity.

Graham3

Jan 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
    Bible question
    Hi Visci and Graham,

I enjoyed your answers, nevertheless, the original question was "what is the theme of the Bible"? My answer to this question at first should have been JESUS IS THE THEME OF THE BIBLE (see Luke 19:10) and is now my corrected answer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2004, 03:14 PM
    Bible question
    The original question was "what is the theme of the Bible"?  My answer to this question at first should have been JESUS IS THE THEME OF THE BIBLE (see Luke 19:10) and is now my corrected answer. [/quote]

Iguess we can just toss out the old testament Huh?

Jan 17, 2004, 03:21 PM
    Bible question
    Graham3,

Well has the Scripture spoken, "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

The passage you quote as 1 Kings 2:6 is 1 Samuel 2:6 for reference sake. Why you would think that God did not make death is beyond me, who else would or could have? The Bible has 66 books corresponding to the 66 chapters of Isaiah, the book of "Wis." is not one of them. The proofs of the Bible are self contained. The phrase, "God hath not made death," is not found in his word, seeing he made all things.  

](Proverbs 16:4)  The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
    No sir, your sophistry simply robs God of his glory. Who created the lake of fire?

](Matthew 25:41)  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Revelation 21:8  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
    No sir, God created death just as he did life.

]Samuel 2:3-8
    (3)  Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
    (4)  The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.
    (5)  They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble.
    (6)  The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
    (7)  The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
    8  He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them

(Deuteronomy 32:39)  See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
    Satan could not even persecute Job without God's permission and could not kill him.

](Job 1:12)  And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

(Job 2:6)  And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
    God rules in the kingdom of men.

](Daniel 4:17)  This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
    To say that God is not in control, even of the evil in the world, is to be completely ignorant of his word. There are many more examples I could relate in scripture to support this fact.

]Matthew 10:29  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

Jan 17, 2004, 03:28 PM
    Bible question
    A Jackson,

Certainly Christ and man's salvation is a dominate theme of the Scriptures but it is only part and parcel with the main theme, God's glory.
    ]
    John 12:27-28
    27  Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28  Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, [saying], I have both glorified [it], and will glorify [it] again.

Romans 15:9  And that the Gentiles might glorify God for [his] mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

Revelation 15:4  Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? For [thou] only [art] holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

John 13:31  Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.

John 17:1  These words spake Jesus, and lifted his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

Matthew 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

1 Corinthians 6:20  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
    The over riding theme of the Bible is God's glory, all else is subordinate to that, including the plan of salvation. The Bible describes God as the King of glory, the Lord of glory, the God of glory. "... in his temple doth every one speak of [his] glory," "let the whole earth be filled [with] his glory."

To understand this is the only way to understand God's word and the history of mankind.

Jan 19, 2004, 09:19 AM
    Bible question
    Hi Vsicj,

Without Jesus there is no glorifying God. See John 6:44.

Jan 20, 2004, 02:45 AM
    Bible question
    Hi Vsicj,

Without Jesus there is no glorifying God. See John 6:44.
    ]John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    Could you explain how you come to that conclusion from John 6:44?

]Isaiah 49:3 And said unto me, Thou [art] my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
    ]Ezekiel 28:22 And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against thee, O Zidon; and I will be glorified in the midst of thee: and they shall know that I [am] the LORD, when I shall have executed judgments in her, and shall be sanctified in her.
    ]Haggai 1:8 Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the LORD.
    Ysicj

Jan 20, 2004, 02:55 PM
    Bible question
    Hi Vsicj,
    Tell me if I am wrong. But the question is "what is the theme of the Bible"?

Your answers address what our PURPOSE while here on earth and not what the theme of the Bible is.

If the question was "what is our purpose on earth"? I would agree wholeheartedly that our purpose is to glorify God.

Nevertheless, the theme of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is Jesus.

Jan 24, 2004, 05:02 PM
    Bible question
    Yes, Christ Jesus is a major theme of Scripture, but is secondary to the glory of God. The salvation of man is not the primary theme of the Bible nor the main object of God's plan and creation. If man's salvation was the main object, God would have no problem in saving all men by simply covering all by the blood of Christ automatically.

This is where many have failed in their ministries, compromising the glory of God in favour of the salvation of men failing at both. It is also why their understanding of the Scriptures and its application in history is lacking.

The main theme of Scripture is the glory, honor and majesty of God. The plan of salvation is so constructed as to glorify God. Whenever men glorify themselves, as in the bragging on the unsinkability of the Titanic, God's honor and glory supersede the salvation of men.
    Moe_Munnay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2004, 08:34 AM
    Bible question
    You cannot reduce the bible to a single theme, whether that's the theme of god's glory, the redemption of creation, or whatever. Even if we concede that all things are done to god's glory, it does not follow that the glory of god is the theme of the bible. It does not even follow that it is the primary theme.

In my opinion, to discern the theme of the bible, we must take seriously its form. The bible comes to us as a story that is commented upon by the prophets and celebrated in the psalms and analyzed in the proverbs and the other wisdom writings. But the story is primary, and the other stuff is secondary.

So the question "what is the theme of the bible" devolves to "what is the point of the biblical story"?

Mo
    dennisbowen Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2004, 11:39 PM
    Bible question
    I think we can find the answer if we go to the very beginning and the very end of The Bible.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Rev 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you all. Amen.

Now from this we can tell Jesus Christ is mentioned both in the beginning and in the end. As we study the Bible we find that through out the Old Testament and New Testament Jesus is the focus.

Jesus is a King and therefore a king must have a kingdom. Revelation goes into detail on The Kingdom. Also Jesus told us to pray "Thy kingdom come."

The main theme is the kingdom of God. In the kingdom of God, all of the other suggested major themes are included and given proper place. In addition, the kingdom of God includes other themes important for our understanding of the Bible, such as creation, the Biblical teaching about angels and demons, the doctrine of final judgment and everlasting punishment. Christ Himself remains a central theme of the Bible because as the King, He is the center of the kingdom, its very essence. Redemption as a central theme is understood as the drama of God's restoring the kingdom to its original purpose. For after God created His kingdom, man led it into sin through covenantal rebellion.
    Spindlethecry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2005, 03:05 AM
    John 3:16
    The re-occuring theme of the Bible is summed up as or is called Agape "LOVE"

Yours In Christ Jesus,
    Rev. Daniel Pangelinan
    Daniel Herring Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2005, 10:57 PM
    Find this
    Be thou not righteous overmuch; for why shouldest thou die?

God is God! He can do anything He wants to do, and still be the Holy One I shall always worship.
    chrisl Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2005, 09:39 AM
    What is the theme of the Bible...
    In brief, the main theme of the Bible can be summed up as the vindication of God's sovereignty and the sanctification of His name, Jehovah (Psalm 83:18), by means of the Messianic kingdom under the rule of His son, Jesus Christ.

An easy way to understand this is to consider a few key sections. The opening account in the Bible, Genesis chapters 1-3, explains how Jehovah created the earth and placed mankind upon it to care for it. Furthermore, humans would live eternally as long as they remained obedient. Death was only a consequence of deliberate disobedience and sin. But Satan, a rebellious angel, contradicted Jehovah's statement that disobedience would bring death to mankind, thereby challenging God's truthfulness and the rightfulness of His rule. Satan later went even further, claiming that when under trial mankind as a whole would not remain obedient to God out of love, but instead would only obey when they had something to gain. (Job chapters 1 and 2)

The Bible concludes at Revelation with a far-reaching series of prophecies that continue being fulfilled in our day (and still extend into the future.) Revelation 21 begins with these thrilling words:

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful." (NKJV)

The primary theme of the Bible, then, is a development of the results of Satan's challenge and a gradual revealing of God's purposes regarding how the issues would finally be resolved: the establishment of the Messianic kingdom to vindicate His sovereignty and the restoration of the earthly paradise He originally purposed.

Which then leads us to...

... and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things?
    Daniel chapter 2 contains an account of a prophetic dream given to Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar that showed a series of kingdoms or governments that would rule on the earth. After listing the kingdoms, the prophecy concludes at verse 44:

"And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed; and the kingdom shall not be left to other people; it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever." (NKJV)

So the establishment of the Messianic kingdom will mean the destruction of all earthly rulership and governments. Note how Revelation 16:14-16 gives more detail:

For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty...And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon. (NKJV)

Many people believe that Armageddon is some kind of global self-destruction, but the Bible explains that it is God's war against the governments of the earth, and it is necessary in order for the Messianic kingdom to rule over the earth. That is what the Bible means by "the end of this system of things." It will mean the removal (at long last) of the wicked earthwide system that has developed since the Garden of Eden under Satan's influence.

This is a lot to cover in a few paragraphs! If/when you have more questions, ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses next time they visit your home.

Chris

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible study [ 8 Answers ]

How to do a bible study? I am a teen and I want to do a bible study.Please give me some guidance on that

The Background to the Bible [ 1 Answers ]

Thinking about something Keenu wrote about the background to the Bible wouldn't it be accurate to say that it didn't have one single background but each book of the Bible had its own background? What thoughts do you have? MORGANITE

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search