Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamonds64 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Aug 20, 2010, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Please come back and let us know how this works out for you - and thank you for your sympathy. He was a really good man.
    Hi JKT
    Won't be having a meds review until the 1st of October but will let you know if progress has been made or if I find any useful books or websites.

Regards

Diamond
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 08:28 AM

Control is the key, there is something in Canada and UK they are doing to try and "solve" the issue with adding pig islets from their pancreas to humans. US is studying it but that would hurt the pharmaceuticals and their sales
    BBC NEWS | Health | Pig cells 'may reverse diabetes'

There's no money in a cure, only medication (a lifetime)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Control is the key, there is something in Canada and UK they are doing to try and "solve" the issue with adding pig islets from their pancreas to humans. US is studying it but that would hurt the pharmaceuticals and their sales
    BBC NEWS | Health | Pig cells 'may reverse diabetes'

There's no money in a cure, only medication (a lifetime)

I take public offense to this - my late husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy AND taught at the Pharm School. He also died of the side effects of diabetes.

You posted an article from 2006, four years ago. You might want to do more research and learn what the problems with the "pig transplant" were.

Do you think for one moment that my late husband was more interested in making money filling prescriptions for people in similar circumstances than he was in prolonging his own life?

And, surprise! If Diabetes is killing X number of people a year and a cure is found the next disease in line will take over as number 1.

Your post is uninformed and insulting and I'd like to see your research about money in medication, no money in a cure.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
    [QUOTE=diamonds64;2485544]
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    Diabetes will ALWAYS get worse.

Abdomen x-rays will make it worse quickly.

Lower your weight to an ideal level.

Get a copy of the Gycemic Index for Foods and limit foods with a high glycemic index. Note preparation method alters the index.

For example: Pizza, raw sugar and white bread are bad for diabetics.[/QUOTe
    Hi Kiss
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer but being a diabetic I know all this already. I'm trying to avoid being conned into buying books that claim to help you but may be just another faddy diet and not really helpful at all.

Regards

Diamond
    You seem to be a non compliant diabetic, Diamond. I am a type 2 diabetic and in the healthcare sector of this website.

Are you not able to afford proper medical care in your area through lack of medical insurance ?

If you are a diabetic, I can tell you right now, there are no books, websites that prove diabetics can be cured or controlled other then proper meds and actually no big deal if you watch your diet while taking a prescribed med for your diabetes.

I have been a diabetic for four years now, take my metformin on time, have reduced it to one a day because I am compliant with my condition and approved by my excellent doctor here in Canada.

If you don't like the answers you are receiving here, then you have no right to be here. We are all volunteers and have other jobs to attend to, yet take the time to help people like you to understand.

Ms tickle
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonds64 View Post
    So I was looking for books that might help but the amount of those is also enormous.
    I'm pre-diabetic and have been reading a very good book by Bob Greene called: "The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes". He is an exercise physiologist and both of his parents are diabetic. He wrote the book with Dr. John Merendino, an endocrinologist and Janis Jibrin, a nutritionist.
    Very thoroughly written, easy to read, meal planning, recipes, etc..

Both of my parents are diabetic as well. Type 2 diabetes can sometimes be controlled enough to where no medication is required, but it is very individual and certainly has to be re-evaluated regularly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2010, 07:12 PM

Comments on this post
    tickle disagrees : sorry, scotgem but I don't think this is not a proper response to this issue

Excuse me? Have you read other responses? What is not factual about my response?
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Comments on this post
    tickle disagrees : sorry, scotgem but I dont think this is not a proper response to this issue

Excuse me? Have you read other responses? What is not factual about my response?
    I am sorry you were taken aback by my disagree but being a type 1 myself and knowing a few non compliant diabetics through my work, I just don't think its appropriate that someone suggest diet control for diabetics. Diabetics, type 1 only, can succeed to control diabetes to the point where lifestyle is normal by diet AND MEDS, but not diet alone. When one is diagnosed with diabetes it is considerably upsetting and life changing because down the line, there is really only one outcome no matter how well it is controlled. The outcome is kidney damage, and we all know that is irreversible.

If I could take my disagree back I would, it was done in the heat of the moment and I know you are referring to proper use.

Tick

Aug 21, 2010, 02:08 PM

First the question was about Type 2. Second I said it would not be easy, just that it is possible.

And yes, since my response was factual an negative comment was inappropriate.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First the question was about Type 2. Second I said it would not be easy, just that it is possible.

And yes, since my response was factual an negative comment was inappropriate.
    Okay, I apologized, didn't I and I gave you a reason why I disagreed. Point taken. I will say it again, I knew it was inappropriate. I am certainly never shy about apologizing.

Tick

Aug 21, 2010, 03:50 PM

Sorry, I didn't specify. As long as you understood you were in error, we are fine.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 05:12 PM

Yes, Scott, Tickle was in error.

I know of several Type 2 diabetics who control their diagnosis with diet and exercise alone. I actually helped one get off her meds and on to a good diet and exercise program while I was in nursing school. I actually got recognised through the school for that.

Again, each case is individual. Diet and exercise should be approved by the patient's doctor before attempting.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 05:33 PM

I absolutely will not give in to this assumption that type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise, although I am not saying that this lifestyle for diabetics is wrong, it is entirely proper at first but must eventually be assisted with a low dosage diabetic med.

Most people with approaching diabetes are diagnosed as 'borderline'. A doctor once told me there is no such thing as a 'borderline diabetic' and after studying the issue of diabetes I have to agree with him. Usually there are contributing factors such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure; that's where J-9 you state that everyone is different is entirely correct. Someone diagnosed with type 2 and not having these factors involved, can, yes, control their diabetes up to a certain point, with diet and exercise. Eventually however, they will have to supplement with meds and metformin is the usual med of choice with most physicians because it is compatible with other meds for high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

I think it is stellar, J, that you cared enough to assist these people to control their diabetes. We are experiencing a diabetic apedemic on the north american continent at the present time.

Tick

Aug 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Yes, Scott, Tickle was in error.

I know of several Type 2 diabetics who control their diagnosis with diet and exercise alone. I actually helped one get off of her meds and on to a good diet and exercise program while I was in nursing school. I actually got recognised through the school for that.

Again, each case is individual. Diet and excercise should be approved by the patient's doctor before attempting.
    Many thanks J9. I think I have a good diet. Now just need to find a good exercise program. To all others thanks for comments but subject is now closed.

Regards

Diamond
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonds64 View Post
    Many thanks J9. i think i have a good diet. now just need to find a good exercise program. To all others thanks for comments but subject is now closed.

Regards

Diamond

You probably do not know this but only a Mod (and certain Experts) can close a thread. This will go on until everyone has answered or is exhausted.

You don't have to read the posts, of course, and you don't have to respond.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 02:12 PM

You NEED to discuss this with your doctor before taking it on.

If you take this advice without discussing it with your doctor it could lead to permanent damage to the kidneys, eyes, etc.

The info we give here is not meant to be a diagnosis or proper treatment for illnesses. Although I am a registered nurse, I do not know your complete medical history, nor am I able to diagnose or treat illnesses.

I beg you to get approval from your doctor before doing this.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 03:26 PM

Have to spread the rep J... but couldn't agree more with your post.

Aug 23, 2010, 02:50 AM
    You NEED to discuss this with your doctor before taking it on.

If you take this advice without discussing it with your doctor it could lead to permanent damage to the kidneys, eyes, etc.

The info we give here is not meant to be a diagnosis or proper treatment for illnesses. Although I am a registered nurse, I do not know your complete medical history, nor am I able to diagnose or treat illnesses.

I beg you to get approval from your doctor before doing this.
    I can assure you I won't be doing anything without consulting my doctor first.
    I was diagosed seven years ago and am a very cautious person when it comes to medication and nor do I believe everything everybody says.

I was simply trying to find out if anybody out there had read any books stating that diabetes could be reversed and if so did they sound possible or just general stuff that one could find on the net. I'm not asking anyone for a diagnosis or what treatment they recommend either.

Regards

Diamond
    :(
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:22 AM

Diamond, while "symptoms" can be reversed. Damage that is already done cannot be.

Through diet and exercise it is possible to taper down, or off, of certain medications, but again, this is all individual.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but check at your bigger hospitals. Many times they have a diabtetic nutritionist who gives classes on the right foods to eat, and when to eat them.

I do want to make a suggestion told to me by a physician many years ago when my father was diagnosed. ALWAYS carry 5 lifesavers with you. It can help greatly if your sugar drops and you have no other way to get to some sugar.

Aug 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
    Diamond, while "symptoms" can be reversed. Damage that is already done cannot be.

Through diet and exercise it is possible to taper down, or off, of certain medications, but again, this is all individual.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but check at your bigger hospitals. Many times they have a diabtetic nutritionist who gives classes on the right foods to eat, and when to eat them.

I do want to make a suggestion told to me by a physician many years ago when my father was diagnosed. ALWAYS carry 5 lifesavers with you. It can help greatly if your sugar drops and you have no other way to get to some sugar.
    Hi J9
    Many thanks for advice. I always have a packet of sweeties in my bag just in case. Trouble is I'm tempted to eat them and so put on weight. Will check out the nearest hospital and see what services are on offer there. Thanks again.

Regards

Diamond
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 11:51 AM

My late husband carried some sort of sugar cubes which he obtained by prescription. I no longer recall what they were called.

Soft drinks, candies and the like no longer helped him and he needed something more concentrated. One of the packets he carried (not the cubes) contained a substance which I would put under his tongue to bring up his sugar level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Type II Diabetes [ 1 Answers ]

What is a good morning sugar level and night time sugar level for someone with Type II diabetes. {moved from Forum Help. Please choose the forum to post in more carefully and please READ posting instructions.-<>}

Medications that are OK for type 1 diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use "slim styles weight loss drink mix with type 1 diabetes it's called slim styles with pgx by natural factors

Getting picked on because of my type one diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

I am 17 years old... and I dropped out of school because people picked on me for having diabetes... I was diagnosed on April 9th 2004 and after kids were picking on me for a while... I stopped taking care of myself. I got to the point where I ended up in the I.C.U. for 4 days and was on the regular...

3 yr. Old and type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

Type 2 Diabetes: effects of carbohydrates [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and would like some specific information on how simple and complex carbohydrates are processed in the body. For example, I have been led to believe that complex carbohydrates are processed more slowly in the stomach, increasing blood sugar over a...

View more questions Search