Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Inherited house 3 sisters
    3 sisters inherited mother's house - no mortgage. 1 sisters wants to buy and live in the house. Another sister is willing own 1/3 of house but not live in the house. The sister who will live in the house will buy out the third sister. Question is the sister who owns 1/3 of the house - what taxes is she going to owe and later when the house is sold (2 yrs or more) how is the capital gains going to calculated? Is it better to sell an inherited property in the first year it was inherited?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 21, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rou
    3 sisters inherited mother's house - no mortgage. 1 sisters wants to buy and live in the house. Another sister is willing own 1/3 of house but not live in the house. The sister who will live in the house will buy out the third sister. Question is the sister who owns 1/3 of the house - what taxes is she going to owe and later when the house is sold (2 yrs or more) how is the capital gains going to calculated? Is it better to sell an inherited property in the first year it was inherited?
    Sister who will live in the home can buy 1/3 share from sister who should have no tax consequence... that sister then 2/3 owner Tenant in Common with sister willing to keep 1/3 share. 2 sisters need written agreement as to who pays what and in what ratio. 1/3 sister - with proper agreement - should offer her 1/3 to 2/3 owner if/when she sells or needs $$$. An attorney should draw up the agreement so that live-in sister pays for repairs, etc but not capital improvements or large expenses like roof replacement.
    mjinms Posts: 39, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rou
    Well, in the end there will only be two sister owing the property. So the taxes would be halved between the two. Prior to that is the sister buys out the one that wants to sell her portion would pay only a third of the taxes at time of sell. Meanwhile all three invested sisters would pay the taxes divided by three. When it comes to buy out sisters portion, get an appraisal worth on the home, two years from now and divide the amound by three.
    Example- house appraises for 210,000 divide by 3 (because there are three sissters)and that is 70,000 a sister. So the one that wants to buy her sisters portion would hand over 70,000. Always best to sell property at the end of a year or right at the beginning so the tax portion isn't high.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the house inherited property? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother passed in May leaving my brother and I both executors and beneficiaries of her estate. It turns out, without either of our knowledge, she changed her deed to make herself, myself, and my brother "joint tenants with survivorship" This transfer was made in March 2003 and she passed in May...

Looking for my sisters father, Nolan Sigmund [ 4 Answers ]

His name is Nolan Sigmund. He was in Virginia in 1959 to 1960. He attended Taylorsville Baptist Church in Doswell. He was said to have returned to Georgia around February 1960. My sister found out she was adopted when our mother, Bonnie Martin Blount, passed away. Any info that is helpful would be...

My sisters [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have two sisters the same age as me (15) a few years ago they both tried to kill themselves, now this year one of them tried again. They are both adopted (twins) so that might have something to do with it. I was just wondering do you reckon it'll pass, maybe its just them trying to be...

Foreign Film... Sisters? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to figure out the title of this film for months and can't do it, nor does my crummy description jog anyone else's memory. Hoping someone here can help. This was (I believe) a foreign film from the last 8 years or so. In it, there are two sisters, the main character is some...

I'm looking for my older brother and sisters. [ 3 Answers ]

The last time I saw Naomi, Caroline and Mani was at my fathers funeral, 20 years ago. I do think about them a lot especially now I'm older. I don't understand why they never stayed in touch, Naomi promised me she would stay in touch but never did. We had the same father but different Mum's....

View more questions Search