Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smiddle5577 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Temp working in one state and reside in another, one has state tax and the other does
    Live in Florida and working in ca on a temporary basis, employer reimburses living expenses, do I have to pay ca state taxes
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
    As you're working in CA, any income you make from that work is taxable to the state of CA. as a nonresident( because yoour home state is Florida). If your gross income or adjusted gross income, agi, is more than the amount for your filing status, age, and number of dependents, then you have a filing requirement. For example, as either a single or an HOH under 65 Y.O. with 1 dependent, you need to file your state tax return if the amount of your goross income is over$17,889 ( over $14,965 for your AGI) as of Dec. 31 2009.
    The state income taxes that you paid in Ca are subject to tax deduction against your Federal tax return.(You must file a 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions in order to claim either state income tax or state sales tax on your return.)
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 11:19 PM

Any income earned while present in a state is taxable in that state. If you live in CA for limited period, you are part year resident of CA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working out of State and Tax Issues [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a IT consultant working for a company (i.e. I'm just a cog in the Man's machine, not an independent :D ) I'm currently on a long term project in another state. I generally fly in on Monday and fly out on Thursday and work from home on Friday. I get a per diem for food and reimbursed...

Does CA law state at what age kids can decide with what parent they want to reside? [ 2 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my three children. Their father has visitation on weekends and every other week during the summer. Our children are 8, 11, and 15. My question is... my Ex keeps trying to push my middle child to 'choose' to live with him. Sometimes he tells his dad he wants to but then...

How long to reside in a state to be considered a resident [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. If I am moving from the state of Florida to Brooklyn, NY, how long do I have to reside in NY for me to be considered a resident?

Working out of state and tax issues (new) [ 1 Answers ]

I am staying with my girlfriend in NYC (her apartment - I don't pay rent) and I am a longtime California resident. I have kept my apartment (rental) in California, and have been in NYC for the past 8 months (on and off). I just started a full time job here and I thought I research the issues...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search