Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Hmm, it occurred to me that where I heard this may not have been the "official" solution. (I'm never sure what the official solution is.) Someone comes up with a solution that's relatively correct and the various details might be different. But that solution is the only one I've ever seen.

So I tried to Google this specific puzzle and I'm not seeing this added detail as part of the answer anywhere. Only that this is his only source of income and he's afraid he won't be a midget anymore.

The extra detail does add an extra personal issue to it if you still want to try to guess it.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 12:54 PM

For one, I'm still confused about those circular disks... specially about this: If the disks are removed, how can he feel taller? Wouldn't it be the other way round? Of course, this must be because I don't know how those walking sticks are made... =/

As for the clippings, I guess that they showed the man how he seemed to be taller each time, and maybe, how he was getting less 'fame' over the years, or as a way to see how his height was changing?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2010, 01:25 PM

I might have to agree with unky about the news clippings talking about his fame or his fame fading.

Unky, if he is a midget then he has a stickk let's say 2 ft tall, and he was 3 ft tall and if the cut 6 inches off the stick then he would appear to be 6in taller. Get it?
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 07:42 PM

Yeah, what Adam said. He knows how the cane feels and how tall it is. If it started feeling differently, that is, feeling shorter to him, he'd think he was getting taller. Oh, and the "disks" weren't removed - they weren't disks to begin with. They were sawed off and became disks, and tossed under the cot where he never saw them. (Boy, that made it difficult answering some stuff.)

As for the clippings - there is nothing actually in the answer that has specific info about what's in them. I don't think there was anything about his fame slipping. I suspect they were about him and probably the circus he was with.

Now the version I heard was that he had the distinction of being the shortest circus midget, so he would be losing that as well. It makes it a bit more sentimental, and also could mean the clippings would be about his "guinness record" status, possibly comparing him to other midgets, etc.

In the end, I think the clippings are just about him looking at his past and thinking it's going away. He's the only one who thinks he's getting shorter, so I can't see why the clippings would be about that. Remember he can't read, so he's not catching up on news - he can only look at them. (Though I don't know why he was made illiterate.) Also don't forget he has scrapbooks as well, probably with photos of him and the other circus people, and this would be sentimental to him as well. Which adds something other than just maybe losing his job. Looks like he drank a lot of whiskey over it as well.

One thing that goes unanswered is why someone did this to him. Someone asked if someone else wanted him dead and I had to answer "we don't know." Cause we don't know what that person's motivation was. Did he think the guy would kill himself? Or was he just a jerk, thinking this a practical joke?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 01:41 AM

So, he was comparing his height with the stick... and as he saw his stick getting shorter, he thought that it was the other way round, that he was getting taller? Ok, now I get it :)

Well, the things about the papers and the scrapbooks do make sense. And we often say that people who are in circuses are often illiterate people, right? So I guess the 'illiteracy' was a hint about him forming part of a circus.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2010, 11:44 AM

Yay that was fun. Another please?
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2010, 10:06 PM

You actually want another? I figured everyone would be tired of it. But I can easily hunt down another if you want.

Or if someone else wants to do one instead... I can even point you to some pages where some lie in wait. I'll wait until tomorrow so that I don't hog this position. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 04:31 AM

I am not good at these but I do like doing them. I find them fun. So, if you would like to do another, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 11:14 PM

I started a new thread over here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/games/...ml#post2496084

In case you haven't noticed, I can't stand really, really long threads. I'm going to start with some shorter puzzles.

By the way the "riddle" thread still has some unanswered questions on it. Or if you don't like those, I can post some different ones.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2010, 04:58 AM

Ok, I will go and check it out. I never noticed it. Thank You!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lateral Thinking Puzzle (Restaurant) [ 174 Answers ]

I brought this idea up on a different thread and a few said they were game, but anyone who cares to participate can. (Since this is games, is it OK to post it here, or should this move to the lounge or something?) The idea is that a scenario is given with very little detail, just a little...

Pool lateral line broken [ 0 Answers ]

Will this cause the pump not to prime or is holding prime another problem

Rotary motion converted to lateral [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what mechanisms can convert rotary motion into lateral motion. In particular something similar to that of a an engine valve where it is stationary for most of the revolution and only moves up and down quickly over say a quarter of a turn or less. I understand the principal of...

Lateral knee pain [ 2 Answers ]

recently my dad exercised on the elipitical for 40 minutes and following this particular exercise session felt extreme knee pain when kneeling/squatting. On a scale of 0-10 (0=no pain/10=excruiating pain) he said the pain was about an 8 or a 9. the pain is sharp and increases so that its almost...

Lateral Pass hitting the ground [ 3 Answers ]

In the Rosebowl, USC threw a lateral pass. The pass hit the ground (which I assumed was incomplete) a receiver picked it up, and ran down the field for a first down. It was reviewed and the official said it was a lateral pass. I am not questioning lateral, I understand it was pass backwards, but if...

View more questions Search