Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nisi061310 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 12:47 AM
    What can cause the front caliper to come loose on my BMW motorcycle.
    My motorcycle had been in an accident before I bought it. One of the bolts on the front left caliper keeps coming loose. The technician keeps torquing them but this one bolt keeps coming loose. Can someone explain or help
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2010, 12:56 AM

Well I don't think the crash had much to do with this, if the bike is old then over time the brake caliper has gone through a lot of force. So after so much force the threads have most likely been pushed/pulled out of shape. If the threads have been pulled apart then the bolt won't hold as well. That along with the vibrations from the engine, and the rattle from the street will cause the bolt to work it's way loose. I'd recommend using a thread locking compound. That should keep the bolt from coming loose
    Nisi061310 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scortcho View Post
    well i don't think the crash had much to do with this, if the bike is old then over time the brake caliper has gone through alot of force. so after so much force the threads have most likely been pushed/pulled out of shape. if the threads have been pulled apart then the bolt won't hold as well. that along with the vibrations from the engine, and the rattle from the street will cause the bolt to work it's way loose. i'd recommend using a thread locking compound. that should keep the bolt from coming loose
    Thank you very much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BMW Motorcycle Radio Lock Out [ 0 Answers ]

After my 1995 K1100LT BMW Motorcycle suffered a flat Battery & had to be left for a couple of weeks,I was unable to activate my Radio.I fitted a new Battery & got every thing working OK,even the ABS,after a struggle,even though I have the correct Radio Code,having reset the Radio & entered the...

Micrometers and caliper [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if a caliper measuring tool would work the same as a micrometer Thank you

Brake Caliper sticking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 99 Lexus LX470. I returned home from a long trip and noticed a terrible scraping on the left rear rotor, even without the brakes applied. I took off the caliper and noticed the outer one was like new and the inner one was completely gone. I put new pads on and started to work the next day...

Car pulled out in front of me and I was drivng a motorcycle [ 9 Answers ]

STATEMENT On 27 May 08, I Armygrunte6 was driving my motorcycle west bound on Highway #164 and as I approached County Road 1350 East, I noticed to my right a light bluish car moving rapidly to the above mention intersection. I then proceeded to slow down because I thought he was not going...

Some options to replace loose slate 20ft. Front walkway [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing front walkway which is approx. 20 feet long. The problem is, the walkway is made of random sized squared off slate pieces which have loosened up causing a hazardous situation for anyone visiting my home. The slate is set on concrete. What options do I have to replace this...

View more questions Search