Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blueforester Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 06:56 PM
    Add Equipment ground bar or remove cross-bar b/w neutrals?
    I have a GE main breaker load center box in a separate building. It did not come w/ an equipment ground bar. Is it OK to:

1. Remove the cross bar and ground left side neutral to box w/ supplied screw.

2. Attach supplied lug to left side bar and 1/0 ground from SER cable, then all ground wires here.

3. Connect 2/0 from SER cable to right side neutral bar and all neutral branch circuits here.

4. Or, keep cross bar and add a separate equipment ground bar to box?

It is a 12/24 circuit box and I will not need more than 12 circuits.

Thanks!

Blueforester
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Purchase the additional ground bar. Never alter the panel original configuration, it's unwise and it could affect the UL listing. The two neutral bars provide easier access when wiring, a neater panel and room for expansion... even if you think you won't need it. This is a sub-panel, correct? You know that it requires a 4 wire feed in addition to a separate ground rod... right?

Aug 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
    [QUOTE=Missouri Bound;2481000]Purchase the additional ground bar. Never alter the panel original configuration, it's unwise and it could affect the UL listing. The two neutral bars provide easier access when wiring, a neater panel and room for expansion....even if you think you won't need it. QUOTE]

Ground bars are cheap. I'll just add one. The reason I ask is b/c the instructions that came w/ box states:

" Optional wiring of neutral and ground
    The neutral crossbar may be removed to provide optional neutral and ground. Right or left"

It came w/ grounding screw. There is a a grounding screw location on the right and left bar that goes into box. And it came w/ additional lug. Picture indicates insulated ground or neutral both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    You know that it requires a 4 wire feed in addition to a seperate ground rod......right?
    Yes. You helped me w/ this earlier. I got the 4-4-2-1 SER cable. I've completed all the wiring in the building and have the box and entrance conduit installed. I plan to pull the cable this weekend. I plan to pick-up #2 ground wire and ground rod tomorrow and install as well.

Thanks again.

Blue
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:59 PM

Looks like you already had your answer... did you snooker me?

Aug 14, 2010, 04:29 AM

No sir! I was checking for understanding. In the same pic I mentioned above there is also an equipment ground. So this was confusing to me.

I had heard of this method before. But I'm a DIY'r and do not fool w/ service boxes often.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2010, 05:38 AM

Well, one more thing. Since you admitted being a DIY... please proceed with caution. Have help from someone who knows the dangers involved with electrical work. You just can't be too cautious. Equipment can be replaced... your life cannot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground bar and neutral bar [ 17 Answers ]

I was working on a rehab project, and the guy working on the wiring was installing both the ground wire and the neutral wire together into the ground bar or neutral bar, depending on the side of the circuit. I was always under the impression that ground wires to ground bar and neutral wires to...

When replacing a load center do you need to add a ground bar [ 5 Answers ]

When installing a new load center should I add a ground bar dedicated to the grounding rod. The old box had the ground tied to the neutral in the load center and the new Square D panel does not have a dedicated ground strip.

Hanging Chandelier - width of steel cross bar [ 1 Answers ]

We are hanging a chandelier - the ceiling is not suitable therefore we will be constructing a frame which will go up both walls and across the top but not be attached to the ceiling - the top section will be 5.6m in length. The chandelier will be glass and stainless 316 and weigh a max of 100kgs. ...

Connecting Ground bar and neutral bar [ 6 Answers ]

I'm wiring an additional panel into a garage. It's connected to the Meter through a switch that switches the power between the company power and a generator. The main house panel is inside the house. I understand that the neutral and ground are connected in the "main panel" only and any subpanel...

Ground bar vs. Neutral bar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference? I understand the neutral goes on the neutral bar and the same for the ground wires but if you were to check continuity between the neutral bar and ground bar they are connected. Can you explain?

View more questions Search