Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrswilburn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 06:14 PM
    Is it illegal to buy to buy a house from a friend then sell it back to her?
    I have a friend that live in California that wants me to purchase her home and sell it back to her. She said a broker said she would save money. The purchase would be cash both ways. Also would I have problems with IRS she is giving me funds. Would they expect me to pay cash on it next year? Its 185,000 that would be deposited. I want to help but don't want to do anything illegal. I live in Texas.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:15 PM

I meant pay taxes on it? I don't have that kind of money and we own a home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2010, 06:17 PM

I don't get what she thinks she will gain. If you sell it for the same amount, then you will have no tax liabilty. However if you sell it for more, then you will.

This whole things smells shady and I would back off.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I don't get what she thinks she will gain. If you sell it for the same amount, then you will have no tax liabilty. However if you sell it for more, then you will.

This whole things smells shady and I would back off.
    I agree. One thing it might be intended to do would be for seller to realize capital gain or loss and get a new basis.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:28 PM

Her house is worth 324,000 but the bank said they would settle and let her pay off if it's a quick sale for 192,000. I don't understand it myself but she just lost her husband just wanted to help her save some money. I don't want to get caught up though.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:28 PM

But she did say that I would need to keep money in my account for a month. I know my bank would have to report to IRS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2010, 06:54 PM

Ahh, now it makes sense. She is trying to get a short sale to get herself out of an upside down mortgage. But if she has the cash to do this then she shouldn't need to. This is fraud and you need to stay away from it.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:56 PM

Wow... wonder why broker telling her it is legal. Thanks for info!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 07:05 PM

It depends on how long you own it, and yes it is sad that the owner can not merely buy out at the short sell.

I will not go as far and say it is illegal, it would be legal to buy it and rent it back to the owner. But someone has to have the cash to buy it from the bank or get a loan to do so.

If the friend has that much cash on hand, while upside down in the home, they just need to wait it out till values go up.

Aug 12, 2010, 07:10 PM

I know don't know where she found this guy. She want to put money in my account and then purchase it back from me after its in my name. I don't know how this IRS thing will work. It will be in my possession for a mintue, and money in my account for a month. It seems more complicated than not.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:11 AM

Hello mrs.

Nobody even mention the problem you'll have with the IRS. You are right. They ARE going to know about the money in your account. No, they're not going to believe that it isn't yours.

I'm not sure WHY she's doing this. I don't think it will help her at all. The bank holds the deed, and I don't think they're going to let you have it unless their loan is paid off, and I can't see how this cash purchase will DO that.

Nahhh. I'd stay away from this.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to sell home, buy another, but Co-Signed for friend worries me [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I have a home that is almost paid for. I want to sell it to have a good down payment to buy another home with my longtime girlfriend. The catch is that I co-signed for a friend a few years back on a home for him. The economy is hurting the business he is in, and I worry about...

How to buy house that have back taxes in IL [ 4 Answers ]

I rent a house in IL and the ower hasn't paid the propirty taxes on it for 2 years. I love my house and have asked to buy it from them, but they won't sell. So how do I go behind there back and buy the house. There not keeping it up anyway and there is no mortgage on it. :confused:

Sell My House, Then Buy It Back Contract for Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who offered to buy my house, to help me avoid bankruptcy, then sell it back to me contract for deed all in the same transaction. Is that legal? If yes, what needs to be done to guarantee I get my house back, and my friend is not stuck with it?

Will I sell my house and be able to buy another one [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... I am about to put my house on the market... can anyone tell if I will be able to sell this one and buy a bigger one in good condition. Can anyone tell me when I will sell this one and what the house I will get looks like? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to...

View more questions Search