Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akrojane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 04:36 PM
    Formaldehyde Formalin 37%
    Please help!

First, let me thank you for listening and hopefully answering. I cannot get a straight forward answer from the manufacturer; I hope you can help.

Are the values of formalin listed below, when heated to 450˚F, a danger to stylists, clients sitting nearby, asthmatics or the clients themselves? Is this a safe product? What type of exhaust system would be considered appropriate? (P.S. Does the FDA regulate this? If this company used aldehydes with less than 1% strength can they list them under fragrance? If they use different types of aldehydes all at less than 1%, if that exists, can they use multiple types and still list them as fragrance provided they are all under 1%? Is that true?)

The ingredients listed below are in a new product to be used on human heads for hair straightening. It states it is not harmful at the levels stated below. The ingredient I am curious about is the formaldehyde derivative. The MSDS sheet says the product is not harmful but “where vapors of this product are generated respiratory protection is needed, use only protection authorized by 2-CFR § 1910.134. It is suggested as optional for masks, gloves, exhaust systems, safety showers except when high heat is used. A flat iron is mandatory in order to activate the product; it needs to reach at least 450˚F.

There are alleged health concerns are being voiced by the stylists who use these types of product. Stylists are inhaling the vapors as they flat iron their client’s hair. The vapors released are allegedly formaldehyde based. The stylists are experiencing chemical burns in the nasal passageways, burning, tearing basically all symptoms of formaldehyde exposure.

The customer service rep says this product is safe. They do not publish the MSDS sheet online. You have to call the company and request it.

The service manual for this product stated:
    “The form of formaldehyde used in the product is formalin. Formalin is a 37 % (cosmetic grade) solution. It is used strictly as a preservative and is not the active ingredient of the formula. Without the presence of the formaldehyde, the results would last a maximum of 1 to 2 weeks, as opposed to 2 to 4 months.”

The product was tested and found to exceed the levels of formaldehyde permitted under the Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC, transposed by European Communities (Cosmetic Products) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Here is a partial excerpt from the MSDS sheet:

Propylene Glycol- CAS No.57-55-6--RTECS No. ty200000- EINECS No. 200-338-0- % na
    Methylene Glycol- CAS No.463-57-0 --RTECS No.na--EINECS No.207-339-5--% ≤ 2.0
    Exposure Limits
    ACGIH ppm /TLV ppm 0.3-- ACGIH ppm /STEL na--NOHSC ppm /ES-TWA 1.0-- NOHSC PPM ES-STEL 2.0 --NOHSC PPM ES-PEAK NF –OSHA ppm TLV .75--OSHA ppm STEL 2.0 OSHA ppm IDLH 20.0
    Cetearyl alcohol CAS No.67762-27-0 RTECS No.na EINECS No.267-008-6% na
    Cetrimonium chloride CAS No.112-02-7 RTECS No.na EINECS No.203-928-6% na
    Octoxynol-40 CAS No.9002-93-1 RTECS No.ym0616666 EINECS No.na % na
    Proprietary amino Acid Blend, Fragrance and Colorings are listed as less than 1% each

Thank you!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:02 PM

What's your question?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Comment on InfoJunkie4Life's post
    Whether, those chemicals turn up to be harmful or not.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
    While I can't help you on this, I wonder why did you put your title as you did. I found no mention of formaldehyde in the list of ingredients you posted.

It would be good too if you could compare those ingredients with other products already on the market and which have no issues. This would already help answer some of your questions. I would have happily searched a little myself, but I'm sort of short on time for those researches right now.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Aug 14, 2010, 07:38 PM

Akrojane: Formaldehyde is highly regulated and permissible limits are restricted. Evidently this product is allowed where you are using it. I have no idea of the techniques you use to style the hair. If you treat the hair with it, then dry the hair it is probably gone before you iron the hair. Tell us more.

Unknown008: In water, formaldehyde is almost completely hydrated to methylene glycol (dihydroxymethane).
    H2C=O + H2O --> H2C(OH)2
    This goes to the extent that there is no carbonyl peak in the IR spectrum. It is one of the few stable gem-diols.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    Thank you for the information :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formaldehyde in hair product [ 2 Answers ]

Brazilian hair straightening treatment has approx 2% formaldehyde (or embalming fluid) in it. Would it be safe to use? Is formaldehyde used in any other hair product that I am unaware of?

Decomposition Rate with Formaldehyde [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing a story, and I needed a little forensic help. What would a corpse look like after ten years of burial in a coffin, average winters/summers/rain and etc (average being average for places that get around three to eight inches of snow every year. How much slower does a body pumped full...

View more questions Search