Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
    How to deal with stress and depression at work?
    Hey everyone!

Some of you know that I am working as a temp and that I bounce from office to office everyone 6-9 months. Some of the offices I have been sent to, I liked. But the one I am at now... don't like so much.

My duties at this job are to "play" as a receptionist. Now my role as a temp is a clerk typist, but they have me as a receptionist. Anyhow, my duties here are to answer phones and transfer them to appropriate people, editting letters and memos, making labels, opening and sorting mail, ordering supplies for staff, making copies, etc.. anything else the supervisor asks me to do.

It's seems like I do more work here than the other employees and I don't even make as much as them! They make like probably $3-$4 more than I do and I do more than them. I'm walking around this place doing stuff for them and whatnot and they all sit around at their desk. Like, I can't leave my desk unless I have someone up front covering the phones... while everyone else can just up and leave when they please.

This kind of position urkes me to a point that I hate coming to work everyday! I don't really like to dress up anymore when I come to work. I just throw some jeans on and call it a day. I get depressed when I apply for other jobs and don't get a respond back, I get depressed when I can't think of any other jobs to apply to.

I'm only here until Nov. 24 (thank god) but that seems so far away from now. I still have 4 months!! Is there any advice that any can give to keep calm?

And I know some of you might say, "Be Grateful That You Have A Job"... I am grateful, but I'm not happy here.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 10:54 AM

Well, start by not focusing on the better places... but think more of just how much worse it could be, and is for many people. Framing it in your mind the correct way helps with how you perceive it to be. Besides 4 months is nothing if will pass in the blink of an eye if you don't dwell on the negatives of this place as it appears you are doing.

Trust me.. having been in some pretty bad places before it helps put things in correct perspective. And while I may NOT be in the Best place I've ever worked... its definitely not the worst either.

And the difference here is you are a temp... and I assume they are not. You are contracted to do certain things... and those may not be part of their job descriptions.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 11:37 AM

It's tough when you're working and everyone else is sitting around doing little to nothing, but with being a temp there's nothing at all that you can do about it.

Just focus on doing your job and time will fly by much faster than you think.
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 12, 2010, 12:14 PM

Thanks Dev :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stress depression heaviness in head [ 6 Answers ]

Hi friends, Let me narrate briefly about my history for the last 7 years. I am now 29 yrs I had severe stress at about 6 yrs back which developed into blood pressure and I am still taking the medicine as per doctors. I had stress followed by depression for about 4 yrs (from the age of 20 to...

How to deal with anxiety and stress? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm halfway throughout my school year and for the past 1.5 years, I haven't really been feeling like myself. My school offers the IB program, and stupidly I chose not to join it and now it's become the biggest regret I have. I thought everything would still be the same and that I'd still be...

Extreme stress, borderline depression [ 1 Answers ]

I need someone to talk to now. I feel as if there is too much inside of my head and I am so overwhelmed. Is this all confidential? Well anyway, I am having extreme difficulty concerning sexual issues with my boyfriend. I am only 16 and he is over 18, which is against the law here in California to...

Post traumatic stress disorder/manic depression [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone and a very special hello and thank you to Janine S J_9: I cannot find out how to say thank you to personaly on this communications profile but well done to all any way I am looking for a definitive description or opinion on post traumatic stress disorder civil/domestic/personal &...

View more questions Search