Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tunisha1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 06:59 AM
    How many head gasket(s) does a 2001 chevy cavalier have, It's a 4 cylinder?
    My head gasket(s) is blown, one mechanic told me it's best to replace all and my mechanic who I deal with on a regular said, " You only have one head gasket. I just want to get the correct info.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 07:03 AM

You only have 1 head gasket but a lot of other gaskets. Replace all of them associated with removing the head.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:48 PM

There is only one head on almost all 4 cylinders. While taking off the head to replacing the gasket, your mechanic will have to take off other parts that use a gasket. These may be damaged or compromised while being dismantled. It would be beneficial to replace them while in the process of reassembling the engine. There also may be a few other gaskets that are not to hard to replace in the process that wouldn't hurt to replace also.
    DEXTREME Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
    There is only 1 head gasket. A new head gasket can be bought in a "head gasket kit". The kit will have every gasket, "O" ring, and seal needed for the job. Any part removed that requires a gasket must go back on with a new gasket. If your mechanic recommends changing the valve seals that is going to cost a bit more on labor. Also be prepared to see the price go up if the head is cracked or warped, the mechanic won't know the extent of the damage till the head is off.
    uuuuu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 11:44 AM
    Recently I replaced the head gasket and valve seal of my Mercedes benz 200E car and the mechanic advised I should double it. After the job was done I noticed that the engine temperature started to rise more than normal. Had to fix an electric fan to keep it stable

Uu
    uuuuu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 11:47 AM
    Recently I replaced the head gasket and valve seal of my Mercedes Benz 200E (1990) car and the mechanic advised I should double it. After the job was done I noticed that the engine temperature started to rise more than normal. Had to fix an electric fan to keep it stable. Now the temp is normal but rises if I disconnect the electric fan relay and I am in traffic

Uuuuu

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 cavalier z24 blown head gasket [ 2 Answers ]

I am a novice backyard mechanic. The extent of my previous works include water pumps, starter motors, radiators etc... All pretty simple jobs. I have a 1998 cavalier Z24 twin cam 2.4 liter with a blown head gasket (car has 120,000 miles on it) . I know its blown because my mechanic told me so. It...

96 cavalier head gasket [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a 96 cavalier last week. The head gasket was leaking as I could smell antifreeze on day 2. They acknowledged it was leaking and they "patched" it . Will that suffice? Also, if I blow the gasket will it kill my engine? What should I do? I am still under warranty for another 3 weeks.

96' Cavalier Head Gasket Repair [ 1 Answers ]

I need step by step instructions on how to replace the head gasket of my 1996 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 by myself.:confused: All serious answers are very much appreciated.

96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice [ 6 Answers ]

My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the...

View more questions Search