Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2010, 10:43 PM
    Small engine trouble.
    49cc engine, took it apart to put in new clutch feet. Put it back together and it wouldn't start. Rebuilt the carb, new gas lines, checked to make sure the spark plug was working, after a lot of work I finally wiggled the plug wire boot arounf the plug and the engine started up (not very well at first but I let it run with the choke on for a few seconds and it sounded better) but now it won't start. I've tried the plug wire again but nothing seems to work. Any ideas as to what might be happening?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 10:46 PM

Plug wire breaks right at the magneto. Ohmmeter to ground can find it. Remember to use an index card to set the magneto gap. The flywheel must not touch the pole pieces when rotated.

Do you have spark now?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 08:00 AM

Remove the spark plug, place your thumb over the hole, and check for compression. If the compression is good and you have a solid spark, focus on fuel--most likely the carburetor. Ensure that the initial carburetor adjustments are right. Fine tune them later, after it fully warms up.

This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2296036

Depending on the age of the engine, you may want to remove the head and carefully scrape the carbon off the head and valves (including seats). Ensure the valves seat fully. Some engines have reuseable (Teflon coated) head gaskets, some don't. Finally, ensure the air filter is clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble starting tractor engine [ 1 Answers ]

Briggs & Stratton 20hp, 2 cyl. Yard tractor won't turn over at start-up. Do I need an engine assembly drawing?

Lawn mower engine trouble [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Scotts riding mower, Model S2046. Every so often, I will start cutting the grass and after about 15 minutes, the engine will start to sputter, then stop. I wait about 5-10 minutes and the engine will start again and be O.K. The fuel filter is clear of debris (I have changed it several...

Engine trouble briggs and stratton [ 2 Answers ]

My name is derek and I have a ride on mower the engine is a briggs and stratton and there is a knocking noise coming from the sump. Can anyone tell me what this is likely to be and what needs to be done to repair it. Many thanks in avance of any advoice. All the best for now.

My 94 Alima engine trouble [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 94 nissan altima that I recently had drivability problems with jerking and not being able to go over 20 mph. I replaced the distributor and coil it runs a little better but not 100%. I had to almost fully advance the distributor so that it has more power. What else can I look for?

Small briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

What are the causes of gas in the oil sump?

View more questions Search