Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nilda111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 11:09 AM
    Can you withdraw tax free from a solo roth 401k for qualified college expenses?
    I am thinking of opening a solo 401k and contributing to the Roth 401k portion of the account. I am also trying to find out if I can then "hire" my children during the summer (they are 2 and 4 years old), but most of their "earned income" from myself employed business into their roth 401k and then have them use it for college tax free. Can I do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 11:30 AM

Just so I'm clear on this - you would "hire" your kids, pay them an hourly wage, issue W2's to document their "wages," withhold income tax, social security, medicaire, and state/local income tax (if applicable) from their paychecks, right? And you're going to deduct as business expenses the wages you pay them when you file your taxes? I suspect that when the IRS audits you they'll have a few questions as to the specific work that your 2-year old and 4-year old did. Having phatom workers on the payroll is a time-honored tradition in some places (I live in Chicago where our elected officials seem to do this all the time) but I would not recommend it - it can lead to an extended time as a guest of the government, with room and board at tax payer expense (as so many of our former officials have discovered).
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 11, 2010, 08:41 PM
    In my opinion, apparently your personal tax related goal is to get so called positive sum game like results; good for both yourself and your children. What I mean is that you want to avoid "Kiddie Tax rule" by shifting earned income in lieu of shifting unearned income to your children( by hiring them as your employees to pay them wages or salaries, earned incomes for the children, and putin' it in their R401K accounts) ,and this, when shifted to your children by satisfying related tax rules, will also decrease your tax liability and AGI.( as you can see, numerous income tax provisions, especially the new ones enacted through the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, are phased out as your AGI increases.So lowering your AGI relatuvely increases your eligibility for a number of these tax breaks. You see that, don't you?)
    Butin general, hiring 2 Y.O. and 4 Y.O. little children, paying wages, issuing W-2s for payin' FICA Taxes doesn't seem to be somewhat rational . Of course there are little children earning earned income and maybe paying either FICA or SECA taxes; little 1 Y.O. or 2 Y.O. children models hired for Huggies or for children's foods ads. Or etc.
    Except this sort of extraordinary case, in general, hiring and paying wages to little children can invite attention from the IRS... then you need to explain as to the specific/characteristic work done by your children.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Both ebaines and wnhough bring up very valid points.

You CAN hire your children and pay them wages for work done for your business! It just has to be VALID jobs where they actually work, not "phantom jobs".

Wait a few years where they CAN do things like clean up your work space and do simple filing, then re-visit this approach.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should you earn for your kidto be qualified for financial aid in the college [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter had financial aid for her college because my family income was less than $81,000 per year in 2005. I have another daughter going to college in 2010/2011 academic year. What is the new maximun limit of money per year above which your kid will not be eligible for financial aid in the...

Which on ehave less tax penalties: withdraw from IRA or 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

New Employeer but need access to cash to purchase a home... should I Roll-over to an IRA and take the money from there or cash out now from the Old employeer 401k?

Can College application expenses be tax deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

Can College application expenses be tax deductible (apps, AP scores,SAT scores and maybe even travel)? GArmistead

Solo 401k or SEP IRA for side job income? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has a 1099 Income(50k) and a regular full time job in which she contributes to employers 401k. She wants to maximize the amount of money she want to contribute to retirement plans for 1099 income. Is she eligible to open an solo 401k or SEP IRA account and reduce taxes? If she can what is...

View more questions Search