Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prasenjit.aot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 04:47 AM
    My child is not talking
    My son is not 3yrs old and still not talking. According to Dr. advice audio and thyroid test are done and all are normal.he is normal in all behavior. He is adicted to see cartoons in computer. What can I do? *** help?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 07:41 AM

Turn his computer off if you feel it's a problem.

Does he yell or make other noises? Maybe he just doesn't have anything to say? Does he communicate?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 07:56 AM

Turn off the cartoons and start interacting with him face to face.

Read him stories,sing songs,I bet he likes the same cartoons over and over... thats because its familiar and he knows what to expect.

The same goes for favourite stories and songs,repeat repeat repeat.

Pictures boards... even cut out pictures of animals and make the sounds get him to repeat after you,even if it takes a few tries.

Colours!

Painting,crayons,use lots of different ones,find his favourite colours and hide them in easy places, (start with two)... ask him to find the red colour,and so on,the nask him what colour it is.

Give him the answer and praise when he repeats it.

Numbers... sing songs... and repeat the numbers.. wether its steps to the shop,up the stairs,what ever takes his fancy.

As long as you make it fun and praise praise praise,never give out if he gets it wrong,find a positive in every try he makes.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Turn off the computer, disconnect the TV, and interract with your child as has been said.

You were wise to have him physically checked out. Now you know the verbal skills are not coming along because he's likely spent too much time on his own, occupying himself.

In addition to what has been said to engage him in reading and activities, why not call your local library, or a nearby nursery school, and see if there aren't reading and activity classes with other toddlers. He would likely benefit being around other kids his own age to play and will quickly pick up on the language skills.

The YMCA here has mom and tot programs as well. Anything to get his world opened up a bit, and participating in socializing will see improvement.

If you are already seeing that his speech seems delayed, or you are worried about it, ask for a referral to a speech therapist. My little guy was slow to talk, and we were given an assessment and excercises (fun) to do that helped a great deal.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 07:36 AM

Have you had his hearing checked? Has he had a thorough physical?

If you have had him thoroughly checked out by a physician, then I too would recommend spending some additional time reading to him and using flash cards so you can ask him what is on the card and try to work with him to name it.

Play dates with other kids his age may help, as the other kids would encourage him to talk.

If you don't start getting any response from that, I would consider the speech therapist.

I imagine that all at once he's going to start talking and will talk a mile a minute.
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2010, 08:54 AM

I would have him checked for any hearing problems, but also autism. If nothing wrong, but just doesn't want to talk, try getting rid of cartoons and putting in sesame street. Good luck
    sarasmom61809 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2010, 10:43 AM

Not saying that you shouldn't worry, but I have had 3 people that I know of that were this way and is fine. Actually more than fine. It's fairly common. 1. was my husband as a child- didn't speak until the age of almost four. 2. My nephew- didn't speak until three. 3. my niece- didn't speak until three. They are all fine. Actually, they are very intelligent. I know that the fear of not knowing is hard. Give it a little time but keep doing your homework. Try to stay positive. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

Talking to parents about dating a girl with a child [ 9 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old male, living on my own and I've been dating a girl who had just gotten out of a bad relationship with someone to whom she got pregnant from. We have been seeing each other since she was about 5 months pregnant. I had helped her out and let her stay with me for a while and she...

I like a girl who I've been talking to her and she's talking to her ex a lot [ 7 Answers ]

I have been talking to the girl down my block and we have been talking a lot and I like her I visited her school today because a lot of my friends go there and they all saw her talking to him a lot throughout the day and I asked her about it and she said "we're not together right now haha" is this...

View more questions Search