Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpailer72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 01:32 PM
    Question on proper use of GFIC breaker
    I had some outdoor receptacles recently installed and would like to know if it is proper to put a GFIC breaker in the panel for this circuit and will it protect the receptacles from shorting instead of putting a GFIC receptacle in the circuit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 03:29 PM
    A GFI breaker will handle 3 tasks:
    1.Overcurrent protection, or too much load on that circuit.
    2.Short circuit protection, or unintentional connection of hot and neutral or equipment ground wires.
    3.Ground fault protection of the entire circuit, or unintentional connection of hot to to any path other than the neutral.

When using a GFI receptacle, the regular breaker still does #1 and #2 through the entire circuit, and the receptacle offers #3 for that outlet and the circuit and outlets downstream from the GFI receptacle.

Hope this makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker question? [ 6 Answers ]

How is everyone one doing? I am new to this site seems like there a lot of good information on hear. So I own my home. I was just curious is per say I have three 15amp breakers, Can I just swap those 15amp breakers with 20 amp breakers or do I have do do some wiring. Hence need an electrician? ...

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Breaker Box Question [ 5 Answers ]

I guess it would be better to call it a fuse box... not breaker. I live in a rather old house with k&t wiring. Our box, located in the basement, has all the wiring come in from the top. At the top of the front panel there are two black pull-out things that have markings saying main and off. They...

Question on 12 gauge w/ 15 amp breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Glad to have found this place. Just had a question regarding 12 gauge wiring. While I know it is unsafe to use 15 gauge for a 20 amp breaker, are there any safety concerns using 12 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit breaker? Reason I ask is I had recessed lights put in my basement and had...

Proper venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My son and I are doing the new DWV system for our house. I have a lot of experience in doing plumbing so I'm not a novice, but I do need to make sure I am doing the venting properly (I know the vent is just as important as the drain lines) as I haven't done anything quite this...

View more questions Search