Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbarnes1826 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion
    If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 04:18 PM

What state is this and is there a rent control board there?

In most cases they shouldn't have an extra deposit for medical needs. Like seeing eye dog etc. The animal goes beyond the "pet" category.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 04:24 PM

The animal is as likely to cause the same issues as any other "pet", they room will have to often be cleaned to a much higher level for pet allergic people.

I would see no reason that one should not be asked for.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 05:10 AM

Hello s:

I've never heard of anybody paying rent for a dog, but I don't think there's anything illegal about it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2010, 05:27 AM

The only thing a companion animal gets you is they can't discriminate in renting to you. Otherwise, you are subject to the same requirements made of any pet owner, no more, no less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Rent as pet deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Can a landlord use your monthly rent payment as a pet deposit?

Pet Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a tenant that is moving out of my rental home and I charged her a pet deposit of $500.00 The lease states, "Tenant shall pay to Landlord a pet deposit of $500.00, of which shall be non-refundable and shall be used upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement for the...

Can they charge me a pet deposit AND raise my rent? [ 8 Answers ]

Last November I asked my landlord if I could get a dog. I said I would pay the pet deposit and pay for any damages made by the pet if they should occur. I asked if I would have to pay more for rent. My landlord then replied he couldn't do that, that it was against the law. He called the owners of...

View more questions Search