Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetSavannah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
    How Long is Long Enough?
    Ok, I have moved across the state from where I grew up and went to school/college because I got married and my husbands job is where I am currently living. I have a decent job here, honestly I like my job, but I HATE living where we live. My husband's job is relatively easily moved because various opportunities are frequently available to him periodically, there just weren't any when we got married and he was stuck for the time being, and now I have this job so we feel like we might be even more stuck than before. I have been working for approx. 3 months, and I was wondering... how long of a time should I stay at this job before leaving? I want to go home, but I don't want my resume to look bad either. I know I will stay as long as is respectable, but not too much longer! I guess I am asking, how long is long enough at a professional job?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
    You have a built in excuse for short term jobs. Your moved because your husband got a transfer. This could backfire since a company might be leery that he will be transferred again.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
    It depends on how many short-term jobs you have had. Three months may not even be worth listing. As for your husband's situation, if you move back home you could simply state that you moved for a temporary assignment for him and took time off for the family, but now that you are home for good are looking for a solid, long-term position.

I think you can leave. You only need to be careful about how you present it in future interviews. If it's your only short-term job, it's not a big deal. Typically when people make decisions out of fears instead of to follow what is in their hearts, they pay big time and gain nothing. I know - I've done it. Also it sounds like you are newly married and young - job hopping in your twenties and thirties is very common today, not the big stigma it used to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

How long does it take... [ 26 Answers ]

To get over a 2.5 year relationship that I have ended? Just so that I have an idea of what I'm up against. One month? Two?

How long does it take? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the divorce process now for over 2 1/2 years. I feel let down by my attorney as he has allowed both my ex-wife and her attorney to complete pregnancies during this process. Even though I agreed to a settlement last July we are still no further ahead. Do I have a legitimate gripe...

View more questions Search