Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizzie46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Ground flaxseed for dogs/
    Ok, my dog has been having problems with her anal glands. I read that ground flaxseed would help to firm up her stool; however, I also read that ground flaxseed will soften the stool in the case of constipation. How can it do both. If it is indeed the thing to give her for the anal gland problem, how much should I be giving an 18 lb. dog? I started giving her 1/4 tsp. once a day, mixed with her dry food. Her stools seem to be firm in the morning but then soften as the day goes on. Am I giving her too much? Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 11:04 AM

Flaxseed oil is good for constipation, but I've never heard it used for anal glands.

For dogs having trouble with their glands fimer stools are better because it helps the dog express them naturally every time they go to the bathroom.
    However some dogs will always have trouble and need to have them expressed manually.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 03:47 PM

Will your dog eat cauliflower? If so, feed him a cup or so with his daily meals, this should help him with anal glands.

**cauliflower should be raw, but you can cook it lightly.
    lizzie46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 05:40 PM

A cup of cauliflower? She only eats 1/2 cut of kibble at a time!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 05:44 PM

Heheh oops sorry missed her size! :o try a smaller portion, maybe 1/4 of a cup or a few sprigs in with her kibble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does using Flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil make you break out/ have oily skin? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! So I was breaking out a little on my face, like cyst type pimples ( very few). Someone that works at whole foods (heath care section) told me to take 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil a day, and also to take evening primrose oil gel tablets. They warned me that I may break out in the first week,...

Nec-covering of ground wire from the ground rod to the water pipecables [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new service meter panel and ground rod. The ground rod is connected to the meter panel via a #4 copper wire to a water pipe located 10 feet away. Is is allowable to bury the #4 wire between the ground rod and water pipe to keep it from being a trip hazard and protect the wire? ...

Does anyone know about flaxseed oil and acne? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, OK so here is my problem.. I actually have a couple different questions to ask so bare with me :) So all of my life I have had perfect skin, no bumps, great tone, smooth.. very good. Just last year I started breaking out with a few pimples on my chin, and they were the kin under the...

Ground cover for active dogs [ 2 Answers ]

Please need help! We have two, one year old belgium shepards Live in san diego, have 1,500 sq ft back yard. Our dogs are extremely high energy, active dogs. We resodded again. Lasted a month Artifisal turf not an option Wood chips not Gravel not Thanks

How to cook with Flaxseed? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I cook with flaxseed and how does it help my diet?

View more questions Search