Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waynejc Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Programs that keep appearing on Desktop screen when starting my computer.
    How do I remove program icons and messages that first appear on my Desktop screen when I start-up my computer. Every time I try to delete or turn-off the messages or program icons, they keep coming back. I believe it has to do with what programs are attached to the STARTUP menu. But, don't know how to access the Startup files so I can turn-off some of the files that keep popping up on Startup. It's very frustrating to keep having to hit on the messages only to have them keep popping up again and again until finally they go away. Thanks for you help, Wayne
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 09:17 AM

Sounds like startup items

Click start, run
    Type msconfig -Enter

Go to startup tab and uncheck whatever it may be that you don't want to start up with PC

Aug 10, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Thanks seahwk83 for the suggestion.
    I did what you said but the modules that keep popping up are not on the listings so I can't uncheck them.
    What keeps popping up on separate module screens is:

1. Windows Installer Module
    2. Sonic Activation Module

As I said before, After I try to delete the one, the other pops up to take its place. I have to keep deleting these windows until they finally go away (after 5 or 6 times deleting), and I get my Home screen back.

Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Sounds like startup items

Click start, run
    type msconfig -Enter

Go to startup tab and uncheck whatever it may be that you don't want to start up with PC
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 04:08 PM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.

You can install this and run the app, I was going to suggest this but at same time found an article with pics and further info of how to use - whether you have a Dell, is all the same info would have suggested as not Dell specific software unless the sonic is part of Dell you may have but this should resolve issue after removing sonic installer info

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=bsd

Aug 10, 2010, 04:36 PM

Yes, what happened was: I was looking for gifts on various internet sites, when all of a sudden the internet shut down and the computer started sending me messages that various virus'es had attacked the computer. I turned off the computer. When I turned it back on it would not allow me to go the Internet. So I restarted it in SAFE Mode and picked an earlier Start-Up date. It started up OK and everything was good. Then, to be on the safe side I purchased a Norton AntiVirus Program and, installed it. The computer was really slow in performing after that. A friend told me about a SpyBot program which was better than Norton. So, I installed the SpyBot program and uninstalled the Norton program. Now, somewhere between ALL that I started to get the annoying pop-up modules that I explained to you about.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 08:57 PM

Would suggest a couple of things

First thing I would suggest is to use Norton Removal tool (not saying that is the issue but is good to use when uninstalling Norton as there are some pieces left around after uninstalled)
    Download Norton Removal Tool 2011.0.0.15 Free - A program that can remove some Norton software from your computer - Softpedia

If you have any Sonic programs and do not use them, uninstall them from control panel and if not there and you think or know you have something Sonic on your computer, use the Windows Installer cleanup utility

Windows Installer Cleanup
    This should help
    Download windows installer cleanup, open app and go down list till you see Sonic app and hightlight then click remove, this will remove any installer info left behind by programs removed from system.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

But there is an installer that is stuck from what can tell from the 2 items you listed as coming up on start and removing whatever that item may be with the Windows utility will remove that installer information (assuming something from Sonic)
    happy.face Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 10:13 AM

Msconfig should help you. Go to run right after clicking in start button.
    Mohammad.Rashid Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 04:15 AM
    This language is Urdu

Asalamoalaikum

Desktop pe koyi bhi progrmas kaise aata hai ?

Pahle mai start me gaya phir RUN pe click kiya phir uske bad hame RUN pe kiya likhna hoga

Please aap hamara javab jald hi deden to aap ki meharbani hogi

Khuda Hafiz
    Mohammad.Rashid Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 04:55 AM
    Comment on Mohammad.Rashid's post
    Hi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know the Regular computer programs [ 3 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

How to remove high risk programs from desktop [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how can I find out which program is used by which program... (4 example : I downloaded some program which is high risk for me to install it and now I can't remove it from my desktop because it says that it's used with another program, and even if I restart my computer there is...

Computer restarts at starting screen? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Anson Wong, I am a 11 year old boy in California. My other computer kind of broke because whenever I go up to the startup screen, I typed in my password, and when I pressed the green arrow, The computer restarts! I've been trying to fix this for hours, I was wondering if you...

Move a .exe file from Desktop to Programs list [ 13 Answers ]

I have a setup wizard program on my desktop (I believe called and executable file, ends in .exe). I used it to create a program and folder now located on my Programs list (in Start). The folder in the Programs list contains several programs/files related to the main program, which is fine. ...

View more questions Search