Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Are there any tax implications on lending money to a friend?
    I had lent $8,000 to a close friend last year and he now wants to pay me back. There was no loan agreement drawn up. I had directly paid for his purchase using a check drawn from my account. And now, he would be returning back that amount to me by a check drawn from his account. Do I/he have any IRS tax reporting obligations connected with the transaction?

(Additional, maybe irrelevant, info: I am on H-1B, he is on F-1)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 08:59 AM

Assuming that your friend is not paying you interest on the loan, then there is no need to report anything to the IRS on this. Loaning money interest free is not a taxable event, unless the amount is over $13K (the annual gift exclusion) - in that case if there isn't a clear contract that specifies a firm date when the money would be repaid it could be construed to be a gift rather than a loan. But for $8K - no problem.
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 10, 2010, 04:44 PM
    QUOTE,"I had lent $8,000 to a close friend last year and he now wants to pay me back. There was no loan agreement drawn up. . ."--So, there is no written loan agreement, the IRS would likely disallow the loan andregard it as an income to your friend. For a loan made at a low or no stated interest rate, the IRS may impute interest. This means that u, as a lender, must recognize interest income on $8,000 equal to the imputed interest , and your buddy has an implied interest payment to u , a lender. In this case, your buddy would then be taxed on the income of $8,000. You need to prepare your written loan agreement. Usually, the IRS carries a minimum interet rate, afr,Applicable federal rate,depending on loan terms below which they consider the loan a gift as well. The minimum interest rate now is just under 5% per annum. If you don't charge your friend at least that, you risk having the loan considered a gift, and your friend having to pay tax on the loan proceeds.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wnhough View Post
    -So, there is no written loan agreement, the IRS would likely disallow the loan andregard it as an income to your friend.
    There is a big difference in the letter and the spirit of the law. I think ebaines reply is a much better and more accurate one. Since the amount of the loan was under the gift tax threshold, there is no need to report it. And therefore no tax implication.

Aug 10, 2010, 05:43 PM

QUOTE,"Since the amount of the loan was under the gift tax threshold, there is no need to report it. and therefore no tax implication."---Ok, I think that it depens on each SPECIFIC AND CHARACTERISTIC situation; there is one example that I want to introduce here.
    QUOTE," Marilyn makes a loan to her daughter Jill so she can start a business. Let's assume that, using the AFR, the annual interest would amount to $3,500. But Marilyn decides to simply forgo this yearly interest to help Jill with her tight money problems. So far, so good. There are no gift tax implications to Marilyn because the foregone interest is less than the $11,000 annual gift tax exclusion. As long as Jill has net investment income of $1,000 or less, Marilyn will not have any interest income to report. Likewise, since the interest isn't paid, Jill has no interest expense to deduct.

But let's change the picture a little bit. Let's say that Jill's net investment income amounts to $2,000. In this case, because Jill's net investment income is greater than $1,000, Marilyn will be required to report $2,000 as interest income, and Jill will have an interest deduction for $2,000.

The below-market rules can get a little tricky, so if you are thinking about making a loan with family members or any other related party (such as employee-employer, an individual or a friend to his or her corporation or partnership, and many others), make sure that you have a firm grip on the rules. You can read much more about related-party transactions and the below-market interest rules in IRS Publication 550 at the IRS website."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 05:58 PM

I would say I would worry much less about any tax problem and more about being paid back. If they are wanting to pay you back, get it back and personally until it is, I would have them sign paperwork on the loan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 06:04 PM

But that is NOT the circumstances indicated here. We try to answer the questions asked. Sometimes we have to talk in generalities because the OP doesn't give us enough info. That wasn't the case here.

Aug 10, 2010, 06:57 PM

Oh Ok, Wait. ScottGem , in this particular case, You are correct; Quite frankly, I got confused between the concept of just general loan with no any rate of interest charged and GIFT LOANS!!
    In the case of gift loan, I mean LOANS to family members( I DON'T KNOW if a close friend also qualify, bud), NO INTEREST is IMPUTED on loans of $10,000 or less, not $13,000, the annual tax exempt gift ceiling for 2010, bud~~ BUT the loan proceeds ARE NOT used to purchase income-producing propeorty, Imean, i.e. stocks, bonds or similar portfolio investment. And also no intereset in imputed on a gift loan of $100,000 or less if the borrower's net investment as indicated in the example, for the year doesn't exceed $1,000, bud~
    Please make a note of this~~

Aug 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I would say I would worry much less about any tax problem and more about being paid back. If they are wanting to pay you back, get it back and personally until it is, I would have them sign paperwork on the loan
    QUOTE, " I would have them sign paperwork on the loan"--Absolutely~~~

Aug 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wnhough View Post
    Oh Ok, Wait. ScottGem , in this particular case, U r correct; Quite frankly, I got confused between the concept of just general loan with no any rate of interest charged and GIFT LOANS!!!
    In the case of gift loan, I mean LOANS to family members( I DON'T KNOW if a close friend also qualify, bud), NO INTEREST is IMPUTED on loans of $10,000 or less, not $13,000, the annual tax exempt gift ceiling for 2010, bud~~ BUT the loan proceeds ARE NOT used to purchase income-producing propeorty, Imean, i.e., stocks, bonds or similiar portfolio investment. And also no intereset in imputed on a gift loan of $100,000 or less if the borrower's net investment as indicated in the example, for the year doens't exceed $1,000, bud~
    Please make a note of this~~
    To sum it up, it is not ABSOUTELY ISSUE( MATTER) of the amount of annual taax exempt ceiling of GIFT, $13,000 BUT it DEPENDS ON each specific situation, budsss~~~~
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 05:51 AM

Wnhoufgh:

I mentioned the $13K amount not because I was thinking about imputed interest, but rather I was thinking about the possibility of gift taxes being due (or at least a gift tax form having to be filed) if there is no clear expectation that the principal would ever be paid back, in which case the loan could be considered a gift.

And who is bud?

Aug 11, 2010, 06:57 AM
    QUOTE," . . .if there is no clear expectation that the principal would ever be paid back, in which case the loan could be considered a gift.""--Right, exactly. I understand what u mean.
    "And who is bud? "--Oh, I was talking to ScottGem.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Considering anyone who accesses the Internet can read this forum, precision as to WHOM you are addressing your comments is recommended! :-)
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 01:24 PM

I believe it is the amount of the loan that cannot exceed $10K before interest is imputed, not the amount of the interest. I also think that the amount is $10K and not $13K. The $10K amount is referenced in Code § 7872(c)(2) and I don't believe it is indexed for inflation.

Aug 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax View Post
    I believe it is the amount of the loan that cannot exceed $10K before interest is imputed, not the amount of the interest. I also think that the amount is $10K and not $13K. The $10K amount is referenced in Code § 7872(c)(2) and I don't believe it is indexed for inflation.
    Yes, You are right!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 02:07 AM

This is from IRS publication 550 -Investment Income and Expenses - Interest Income:
    "For gift loans between individuals, if the outstanding loans between the lender and borrower total $100,000 or less, the forgone interest to be included in income by the lender and deducted by the borrower is limited to the amount of the borrower's net investment income for the year. If the borrower's net investment income is $1,000 or less, it is treated as zero. This limit does not apply to a loan if the avoidance of federal tax is one of the main purposes of the interest arrangement."

Also the imputed interest and any gift tax problems generally do not apply when a loan totals no more than $10,000.

Aug 12, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    This is from IRS publication 550 -Investment Income and Expenses - Interest Income:
    "For gift loans between individuals, if the outstanding loans between the lender and borrower total $100,000 or less, the forgone interest to be included in income by the lender and deducted by the borrower is limited to the amount of the borrower's net investment income for the year. If the borrower's net investment income is $1,000 or less, it is treated as zero. This limit does not apply to a loan if the avoidance of federal tax is one of the main purposes of the interest arrangement."

Also the imputed interest and any gift tax problems generally do not apply when a loan totals no more than $10,000.
    ---Ok, I see. Thanks alot~~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are the Tax implications on inherited money from abroad [ 11 Answers ]

My Father passed away early this year in South Africa and part of my inheritance was a$30,000 cash in one my fathers bank account in South Africa. I will like to know the tax and reporting implications when I decide to move the funds to my own bank account in the US. Thanks Dee.

Lending money to my daughter for house purchase [ 4 Answers ]

I want to support my 23 yr old daughter in buying a property with her friend. She earns a very low wage qnd does not have agod credit record. I am giving her £20,000 and I want to support her in borrowing a further £30,000. I am willing to borrow the extra on my mortgage. How do I make sure that...

I wire transferred $13,000 to a friend in China. What are the tax implications? [ 2 Answers ]

I helped a Taiwan national, working in the States, wire transfer $13,000 to her family in Taiwan. Is this something that could become a flag for me with the IRS. It was not my money and she earned it in the States.

Tax implications father daughter joint account her money only [ 2 Answers ]

Daughter and father opening a joint brokerage account. Who pays taxes? It is entirely h er money going into the account. Thanks

Investing in a Corporation without lending money? [ 1 Answers ]

The questions basically asks if it is possible for an individual to save and invest in a corporation without lending money to it or purchasing additional shares? I would assume there would be no way of investing in a company if you don't have anything TO invest? SO how would not lending money...

View more questions Search