Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 07:34 AM
    View from under the bus
    Hello:

White House Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs, unloads on people like me. "I hear these people saying he's like George Bush. Those people ought to be drug tested,” Gibbs said. “I mean, it's crazy.”

He goes on to dismiss the “professional left” in terms very similar to those used by Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin, saying, “They will be satisfied when we have Canadian healthcare and we've eliminated the Pentagon. That's not reality.” Of those who complain that Obama caved to centrists on issues such as healthcare reform, Gibbs said: “They wouldn't be satisfied if Dennis Kucinich was president.”

Now, I realize that the wingers here thought that of me, but I had no idea that Obama did too.

excon
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Well, I'm a winger, so to speak. I'm a consertive.

That said, I enjoy your political wit and wisdom as well as your observations.

I don't always agree with them, but I'm sure you wouldn't like all of mine either.

Keep it up.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Enjoying canadian healthcare
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:36 AM

Come on ex, this ain't the first time Obama has thrown you under the bus.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:42 AM

Keeping Christina Romer company ?
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:43 AM

By the way, Gibbsy has sort of apologized for "inartfully" throwing you under the bus. He must not have gotten the memo that Zero was busy trying to patch things up with those people.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:54 AM

He needs them . Gibbs will be under the bus too. How dare he take on the base !

Madame Mimi knows better . She just called the House into a special pro forma session to cater to the demand of the public service unions.

Before the summer break the Senate passed their version of a new "stimulus bill .In a rush to pass it and get out of town they forgot to name the bill .So it now appears on the public record as "______Act of____" or as other places refer to it as
    "XXXXXX Act of XXXX" denoting the obsecenity of the thing.
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...86eas2.txt.pdf

Joining Fannie ,Freddie ,and most of the zombie financial instituitions ;state and local service unions are now too big to fail .

Over $400 billion of the original $787 billion in “stimulus” state bailout funds have not yet been spent. Presumably this money will be released just in time for the campaign season (release the kracken ) . The $26 billion in the bill being debated today further sweetens the pot.

The Dems will claim if the Republican oppose this that they want state police ,firemen ,emergency workers and teachers to lose their jobs. At the same time the Dems and the Obots will brag about so many more jobs saved .
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 05:12 AM

The hero worshipping 4th estater Ruth Marcus at the Compost defends Gibby's "inartful" meltdown today.She calls the lefty critics of the President myopic, forgetful and deranged.
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...t_to_crit.html

Surprisingly she has a point. The truth is that the President took on the health care reform despite the best advice of his top people in the WhiteHouse and Congressional leadership . He knows his ideological bend is a bridge too far in this country ,and so far, he has not seized Chavez like power to impose his will on the nation. He is well aware that the modest(in his estimation) "accomplishments" will cost him heavily in the November elections . And yet he is so ideologically bent that he was willing to throw thousands of people... indeed the entire nation.. under the bus to push through as much of his agenda as he could.

The left got more than half a loaf from this group and Gibby is right (although I think this is a bit of Clintonista triangulation strategery on the White House part ).

In the Slimes they dissected the word "inartful" back in 2008 .It means he meant what he said ,but wishes he said it differently .http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/ma...re-t.html?_r=1

Apparently this is a favorite word of the Obots .
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 07:39 AM

Hello again:

Today is a shameful day for Obama. Contrary to the assertions yesterday of Mr. Gibbs, Obama is Bush on steroids. I say that, because at least you expect Bush to act like Bush. You DON'T expect Obama to. At least I didn't.

I've written before about the Khadr case. He's about to go on trial before a military commission that Obama decried. Plus, we're going to use evidence that was obtained through TORTURE, that Obama said he would NEVER use. Did I mention that Khadr was 15 when we busted him?

What is most outrageous about this case is this: how can it possibly be that the U.S. invades a foreign country, and then when people in that country, such as Khadr, fight back against the invading army, as any patriot would have done, by attacking purely military targets via a purely military act (throwing a grenade at a solider), they become "war criminals," or even Terrorists, who must be shipped halfway around the world, systematically abused, repeatedly declared to be one of "the worst of the worst," and then held in a cage for almost a full decade (one third of his life and counting)?

In essence, Obama is free to do whatever he wants, and anyone who fights back, even against our invading armies and soldiers (rather than civilians), is a war criminal and a Terrorist.

If you're not ashamed for your country, I'm ashamed enough for both of us.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 10:14 AM

Which reminds me, did I ever show you this, ex?

Obama's Power Grab

They're calling it a tweak -- a "technical clarification" -- but make no mistake: The Obama administration and the FBI's demand that Congress approve a huge expansion of their authority to obtain the sensitive Internet records of American citizens without a judge's approval is a brazen attack on civil liberties.

At issue is the scope of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's power to obtain information from "electronic communications service providers" using national security letters (NLS), which compel private companies to allow government access to communication records without a court order. The administration wants to add four words -- "electronic communication transactional records" -- to Section 2709 of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, which spells out the types of communications data that can be obtained with an NSL. Yet those four little words would make a huge difference, potentially allowing investigators to draw detailed road maps of the online activity of citizens not even suspected of any connection to terrorism.

In their original form, NSLs were extremely narrow tools designed to allow federal investigators to obtain very basic telephone records (name, address, length of service, calls placed and received) that could be linked by "specific and articulable facts" to persons suspected of being terrorists or foreign spies. In 1993, Congress amended the statute to clarify that NSLs could be issued to electronic information service providers as well as traditional phone companies. But wary of the potential for misuse of what the House Judiciary Committee called this "extraordinary device" in a world of rapidly changing technology, Congress placed tight limits on the types of records that could be obtained, making clear that "new applications" of NSLs would be "disfavored."

The administration is presenting this change as a mere clarification meant to resolve legal ambiguity -- as though Congress had simply misplaced a semicolon. Yet the Bush-era Office of Legal Counsel already rejected that argument in a 2008 opinion, concluding that the FBI had for years misread the "straightforward" language of the statute. And clarity is certainly needed, as it is hard to know just what falls under "categories of information parallel to subscriber information and toll billing records." The standard reference for lawyers in this sphere, David Kris' National Security Investigations and Prosecutions, simply notes that the scope of NSLs as applied to online activity is unclear. Even the Justice Department seems uncertain. In a 2001 response to congressional inquiries about the effect of the newly enacted PATRIOT Act, the Department Of Justice told Congress that "reasonable minds may differ" as to where the line should be drawn between addressing information equivalent to toll billing records and "content" requiring a search warrant.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Which reminds me, did I ever show you this, ex?
    Hello again, Steve:

Did you point that out just to shove a pointy stick into Obama's eye, or are you genuinely becoming concerned about the surveillance state, even as a right wing, pro government, search 'em Dano type guy?

Even the right wing/libertarian Cato Institute is concerned. Enough so, to print an essay from that left winger Glenn Greenwald.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:22 AM

Both.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Both.
    Hello again, Steve:

Then it's my sad duty to remind you that when George W. Bush STARTED snooping on us, which was clearly CONTRARY to the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, I YELLED loudly about it... You, on the other hand, kept poo pooing me, and telling me how BAD the terrorists are. I TOLD you then, that if you don't STOP it NOW, there will be a president in the future, from another party who will use it, and you won't like it so much then...

Bada BING!

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:54 AM

As if I didn't know that was coming. You know I don't actually trust any of them but I trust Obama and the Dems and their Orwellian power grabs less. At least the Bush DOJ felt this was going too far
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
    As if I didn't know that was coming.
    Hello again, Steve:

Yeah, you can see my punches coming from a long way off. I'm not very tricky.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 12:17 PM

What is most outrageous about this case is this: how can it possibly be that the U.S. invades a foreign country, and then when people in that country, such as Khadr, fight back against the invading army, as any patriot would have done, by attacking purely military targets via a purely military act (throwing a grenade at a solider), they become "war criminals," or even Terrorists, who must be shipped halfway around the world, systematically abused, repeatedly declared to be one of "the worst of the worst," and then held in a cage for almost a full decade (one third of his life and counting)?
    Did he kill a US soldier with the grenade ? Yes .His name was Sgt Christopher Speer .

Is he an Afghani ? Nope he is Canadian . Was he in uniform in Geneva compliance ? Nope . That means he wasn't a soldier in the Army of Afghanistan. Have the Canadians plead on his behalf ? Nope ;they don't even want him back.
    Was he an AQ jihadists ? By all reports ,both he and his father were active members of AQ .In fact ,he often associated with the OBL family.

He fits the classic definition of an illegal combatant and should be tried as such under a military tribunal. I don't care about his age. Children are used as soldiers and combatants all over the world .

Is there evidence of "torture" ? Nope ,just his claim.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

Then it's my sad duty to remind you that when George W. Bush STARTED snooping on us, which was clearly CONTRARY to the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, I YELLED loudly about it.... You, on the other hand, kept poo pooing me, and telling me how BAD the terrorists are. I TOLD you then, that if you don't STOP it NOW, there will be a president in the future, from another party who will use it, and you won't like it so much then....

Bada BING!

excon
    Blame bush keeps appearing and I just don't get it. It was Clinton who was first in line as far as domestic spying long before bush took office. Project Echelon.

Ref:

Clinton NSA Eavesdropped on U.S. Calls

Clinton Used NSA for Economic Espionage

Operation Echelon: Will Obama resurrect Clinton's spy program?
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 02:14 PM

By the way, Gibbs unapologized for his apology to the base.

As it stands now, both sides appear to be telling each other to f*** off. I noticed a number of Huppo users promising to stay home in November... that'll show 'em.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 02:59 PM

I happen to agree with Gibbs. The lefty's are a whiney bunch . He is moving the country rapidly in the direction they want ,and yet they complain because he didn't get it completely done.

Their problem is this delusion that the nation wants to go they way they want it to go.
    Gibbs frustration is that it would've been easy for the President to do his best Clintoon impression and stick his finger in the wind to gage the mood of the country. But instead ;against all the better advice of his team ,he plowed ahead. I don't like the diirection he would lead ,and he takes it to the edge to get there . But ,I at least have to give him credit for his refusal to hide his radicalism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bus load of teens in a bus are hunted and killed by a maniac in the woods [ 3 Answers ]

There was this movie, filmed in the 80's (I think). It was about this bus load of teens that breaks down in the deep woods. This maniac killer starts hunting and murdering them. He's very primal looking with long hair and scary. I do know that the killer dies at the end by being impailed on a...

Another one under the bus [ 27 Answers ]

Instead of standing behind his man Obama has now thrown Democratic Virginia governor candidate R. Creigh Deeds under the bus, sensing a loss in the works. What a courageous, principled man in the White House. Some people are not too happy about that. And in another profile in courage, everyone...

In Small bus is it OK to pay self a small salary & use a schedule e for bus profit [ 2 Answers ]

In my small business is it OK to pay myself a small salary & use a schedule e for business profit? I do this to avoid high ss taxes and medicare taxes.

On Bus [ 20 Answers ]

Freedom of Speech Although freedom of speech is a good thing because nobody wants to live in a repressive society, do you think it is right to have religious wars on buses? Should people be advertising about God on buses, or advertising there is no God on buses? If you were the bus driver in this...

View more questions Search