Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 03:54 AM
    Can a gi bill be used to pay back child support?
    HI my name is Jessica and my ex husband owes quite a bit in back child support, he and I are wondering if he can use his gi bill to pay his arrearages?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 04:19 AM

The "GI Bill" was legislation passed for returning WW II veterans to allow them to get funding for education and retraining so they could re-enter the job market.

That's all it can be used for.

For future reference please take more care in choosing a forum. Legal questions belong in the Law forums where I have moved your question.
    jessica1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 04:42 AM

Thank you, and I'm not sure if it will help or not but thank you for answering my question
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 05:40 AM

I agree it doesn't help solve the problem of the arrears, but it did answer the question.

Can your ex pay a little bit more per month to go towards the arrears?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 12:05 PM

The thing with the GI Bill is that if he is enrolled in a qualifying school, he gets a fixed amount monthly, which may be significantly higher than the cost of the schooling. The monthly payment is 1/X of total value of the Bill where X is the number of months of his initial term when he signed up for it and the total value is determined at his time of enrollment.

SO... if he enrolls in a qualifying community college that has courses for $100/credit and maintains a total tuition cost of about $300 a month, he will get X amount from the service usually in excess of $1000 (mine paid $1350 a month for full time school).

My recommendation would be for him to speak to the financial counselor of a local community college or other qualifying program that interests him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never ordered to pay child support can you get back pay [ 9 Answers ]

I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter. Her father has only seen her maybe 5 times her whole life. He has never been court ordered to pay child support but we did have a paternity test done when she about 1 year old. But he wouldn't stay in one place or keep a job long enough to get a support...

Child collecting back pay from parent ssdi and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My dad is disabled and child support and disabilty have been taking money out of his ssd check every month for my sister and I, but being in foster care there has been no payee for either of these for the past several years. I'll be 18 this year and my dad told me I could collect the money that's...

Child Support back pay [ 1 Answers ]

I had a court appearance by phone today. I live in Ga and my court was in Buffalo ny. The court hearing was for failure to pay child support. I tried to explain to the judge that I am a real estate professional and I am not making any money right now due to the economy. The judge acted like she...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

View more questions Search