Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 01:38 AM
    Database design: How is a resource pool modeled?
    I have a finite resource pool (software licenses). One or more instances can be drawn from the pool to be associated with an asset (computer). When the instances are liberated from an asset they return to the pool for reuse (computer prepped for disposal).

How is this normally modeled? I think I'd like the interface to be on the asset's form as a subform listing all available resource pools with each pool having a up/down spinner for instances associated with the selected asset record plus a remaining pool counter. The spinner would be bounded by remaining pool instances.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 04:08 AM

I would use a combobox that would be filtered to eliminate assigned licenses. You would have a assigned licenses table like:

TblAssignedlicenses
    AssignedLicenseID (PK Autonumber)
    AssetID (FK)
    LicenseID (FK)

You would then have a subform bound to this table with a combo that would have a Rowsource like:

SELECT LicenseID, Title
    FROM tblLicenses
    WHERE LicenseID NOT IN(SELECT LicenseID FROM tblAssignedLicenses);

TblLicenses would look like:

LicenseID
    Title

When you retire an asset you would remove all records for that asset from tblAssignedLicenses. This would then freeup those licenses to be assigned to other assets.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Thank you, sir.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Panasonic modeled TX-29F250M [ 0 Answers ]

I have problem with my TV. When I switch on the TV, its on. But after a few second its off and its on again. This happened when I switch to TV mode. When using AV its quite OK. Did anybody can help me? And one more thing, my other TV, it cannot be swtch on. It sound something when plugged is on....

Design a database application n Access or Visual Basic which can be used by a student [ 2 Answers ]

You have to design a simple application In Access and/or Visual Basic which can be used by a student joining a University to record details about himself, his course and his registration and fees paid for each year. Requirements: You should be able to add, update and delete details of...

Proper database design? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an inventory asset database that I would like to add a treeview control to that would show all the different types of assets by location, or by asset type, or by whatever sort I choose to implement. Selecting an item in the lefthand treeview would show summary info common to all assets...

View more questions Search