Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Computer viruses masking itself as an anti-virus program
    Help! I purchases a laptop for my daughter in May. A Toshiba from Best Buy. Suddenly appearing on the computer is some type of security software from Best Buy that keeps popping up asking for $50. To activate. The pop-up keeps popping up all over the screen to the point that you cannot use the computer. When I tried to uninstall the best buy installer program it says I don't have administrative privileges even though I go through the administrative user. I can't individually bring up the files to delete them because they don't come up in file search. It appears that Best Buy has installed a program that cannot be deleted or turned off and its like its holding my computer hostage unless I pay the $50 to stop the program. It won't even let me install a free anti virus program like AVG and Web Root doesn't delete the files. I'm hoping somebody has a suggestion I could use to get rid of Best Buy's installation program. Thanks for any tips.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:09 PM

Can you boot in "safe mode"?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 09:52 PM

It sounds like it may be Norton anti-virus. Whether Vista or Win 7, go to control panel and then Programs and Features and then look for Any and All Norton products and double click to uninstall as Norton comes pre-installed with many systems these days and Norton comes with 3 Months Free use and then would like you to purchase software.

So if purchased first week or so in May, that would be the 3 months trial period which would be over now.

So use Programs and Features in control panel and uninstall Norton.
    -If for some reason you cannot get to control panel and the uninstall part, boot into safe mode and follow same process.

Safe mode:
    Turn on PC and then start tapping the F8 key and then you should be able to get to a boot screen, choose safe mode

When there, follow above to uninstall Norton

After that is uninstalled, the PC will need to be restarted
    -After it restarts in normal mode, download this and run
    Download Norton Removal Tool 2011.0.0.15 Free - A program that can remove some Norton software from your computer - Softpedia

That will remove anything left over the uninstaller may have missed in the registry.

After all that is done, should not take long, you should be able to install another antivirus software of your choice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Will my computer get virurs if I use a program with virus with my computer

Virus not detected by anti virus [ 5 Answers ]

I have an anti virus or spyware program loaded on my computer but I know I still have things on my computer causing problems. My computer is "thinking" when nothing is running and several programs and certainly the internet are slow and sometimes just lock up at random times. What can I do or where...

Anti-Virus pop-up Virus [ 3 Answers ]

For the last week, every time I go online I get annoying pop-up ads and warning messages sayying' you're computer may be infected with malware and viruses, click here... " . Also, one of the pop-up ads is a virus scan. When I try to close them, I have to click close about ten times to get rid of...

Computer slowing down dramatically, Anti-Virus Software doesn't appear to be working [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I have AVG anti virus software and Super Anti Spyware (both free) loaded on my Win XP machine. When I run them they seem to constantly pick up spyware etc. But after I clean up what they find it is still running very slow. Even to open a browser is slow. Can anyone help me out as to...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

View more questions Search