Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Isafjordur Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 01:09 PM
    O you need straight A's to get a good job? I get C's and B's, and a couple of A´s.
    I'm 16 and I'm going to be a junior this September. I haven't failed any classes since Middle school. I don't get perfect grades, I mostly get C's and B's and maybe an A or two. My sister and my mom keep telling me that if you get mostly C's you will be forced to work at Mcdonalds. Is this true? When I turn 18 I'm going to a Trade school to learn computer stuff. But the question is, do you need to have straight A's to get a really good paying job? Can someone with my grades get a good paying job? I occasionally get a D, but it goes back up.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 01:47 PM

While having really good grades can certainly help with acceptance to many universities, straight A's are not necessary.

Do you have trouble with the subjects or do you think if you put more effort into the work you could really do a bit better?
    Obviously it is important to do your best and if you do have certain areas that give you trouble, ask a classmate or friend who is good with that subject to help you out. Most schools have tutoring support as well... take advantage of it. Ask your teachers for additional help.

Since you have a good idea of what you would like to do as a career, why not contact several schools that you would be interested in and find out what their requirements are for entrance. Most will have websites that you can find the information on and contact someone if you have any questions.
    You could also check out any junior or community colleges that are in your area. Requirements may not be quite as strict and they are less expensive as well. Many now offer full degree programs in a wide variety of subject areas... including many dealing with computers.

Your junior year is the time to start looking into these options... make an appointment with your guidance counselor when school is back in session and see what information they can provide as well.

Your mom and sister are trying to help you be the best that you can and achieve your goals. Perhaps they may come on a bit harsh, but they mean well.

Look at it this way, if they didn't love and care about you, they wouldn't care how you did in school.

Good luck... you are smart to be looking into all of this!
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 02:23 PM
    Grades are meaningless

EDIT:
    So meaningless that even a school as astute as Hampshire college doesn't even have them: [Hampshire College's] Academic Philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Isafjordur View Post
    . . . do you need to have straight A's to get a really good paying job? Can someone with my grades get a good paying job? I ocasionally get a D, but it goes back up.
    Yes, you can. The trick is knowing exactly what you want and be willing to take risks.

Let's see.. . My brain checked out of school in 8th grade, I started getting suspended at least once a month and then I started getting F's and D's--had to go to summer school that year--it progressively got worse and I graduated high school with a 2.00 GPA, the usual GPA cut-off for any accredited, four-year school. Long story short I went to college and now work as a programmer making a good salary.

You will find that people who work at low paying jobs and complain about said jobs NEVER put in the effort to search for other jobs. And, they never search because they don't have a direction, they don't know where else to go, or they just don't want to take the risk.

So my advice: set goals for yourself and be willing to sacrifice to achieve those goals, have solid direction and always remember that attitude is everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will going to japan make things with my spouse good again, will I find a good job [ 1 Answers ]

Wonder if it is good idea to travel to japan to be with spouse and if I do will our lives be better and will I be able to find a good paying job there or should we stay apart during this deployment to help us or will it break us

Straight out of high school career/job! [ 5 Answers ]

What would be the best job that pays the most straight out of school!?

Offered a job at an investment bank, is this a good job? [ 7 Answers ]

I was offered a job at Advanced Equities, a Venture Capital Investment Banking Firm. The job entails calling potential clients all day to set up accounts. The clients are Technology companies who might need capital. What scares me about this job is that it was relatively easy to get, they...

View more questions Search