Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    henhar123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 11:11 AM
    My lawn mower won't steer anymore
    My Weed Eater mower stopped steering. When I turn the wheel, the wheels won't move. If I lift the mower and move the front wheels, the steering wheel will rotate in the direction I'm moveing the wheels. Once there is pressure on the front. It won't work. Any suggestions
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 9, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Hi! henhar123, welcome to AMHD :)

Could be tight enough to turn when there is no load, but not the other way around.

Check the sector gear located to the side or bottom of the steering shaft, and around the support for the shaft.

Numbers on that weed eater would help.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 07:55 AM

Hi,
    You have stripped the pinion and or the segment gears. It could possibly be the result of something coming loose. Saw this many a time in the late 1980s and early 1990s with MTD.
    The recommended cure is the replacement of both of those components and any part guilty of causing the failure.
    I am afraid that I can say little more since I am not furnished with more info(model? )
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

I need a mower deck belt for a Craftsman xls 1000 riding lawn mower. [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find a belt for my Craftsman xls 1000 riding lawnmower deck.

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Lawn chief lawn mower rider looking for fuse [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawn chief riding lawn mower where is the fuse located?

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Toro 1744HXL riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram for replacing the belt in the mowing deck of a Toro 17-44HLX riding mower

View more questions Search