Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askme236 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 10:52 AM
    It is a worm or..
    A friend of mine from San Diego sent me some pictures from a weird animal that he keeps finding inside his house.It does not look like a living organism!! (moves very slowly BTW - a few mm an hour and it has a small trunk that it seems to use for moving around - visible in the third pic)
    Attached Images

ROroROro Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 11:11 AM

I don't know! But I'm pretty sure that's not a worm. Maybe it's a bug or something. Tell him not to try to touch it, because it might be dangerous!
    Good Luck
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Aug 9, 2010, 04:33 PM

Pure speculation on my part, but it might be the larva of some type of an insect or similar critter, and the body looks in the pictures like it might be a casing made up of, for example, earth, leaf particles, sand etc.

How does it move? Legs?

Again, I'm just guessing.
    askme236 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 01:59 PM
    According to Dr. Hedin, this is a case-bearing clothes moth larvae (= caterpillars), Family Tineidae.

See additional information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/24481/bgimage
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by askme236 View Post
    According to Dr. Hedin, this is a case-bearing clothes moth larvae (= caterpillars), Family Tineidae.

See additional information: Family Tineidae - Clothes Moths - BugGuide.Net
    Have your friend check everything he has that is made from wool or silk. If he keeps finding larvae then there have been eggs laid and the odds are something is damaged.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Aug 24, 2010, 09:49 PM
    That is the larval stage of a moth called the household casebearer, also called the plaster bagworm, scientific name = Phereoeca uterella . It is not a true bagworm, hence the effort to emphasize the name household casebearer. The larva basically adds dust to its silk enclosure in which it hides. It feeds on spider webs and is known to feed on wool. A vacuum cleaner is the best management method on this species and on the spider webs it feeds upon.

Visit this website, household casebearer - household casebearer - Phereoeca uterella WalsinghamWalsingham for more information.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2010, 02:43 PM

Also check out Tinea pellionella

Scroll down to where the larva is given a choice of textiles or oatmeal and chooses oatmeal.
    bananahanderson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2011, 10:32 PM
    We have them, I thought they were the cases of dead silverfish - until tonight. My son and I took a good look at them and saw that they were moving - very creepy. We looked them up online (actually, we raced - my son on his computer and I on mine) and my son found them - they do appear to be a type of case bearing moth larvae - the bag worm is not quite right though. Those look like tubes, while these are almost completely flat. The only time I've noticed them is when we run our clothes dryer - it vents onto our patio - this makes total sense since these larvae eat cloth, feathers and hair - we have a dog and cat, a down comforter and pillows -so there are always feathers and pet hair in with our dryer lint - they must hang out in the vent tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I-Worm/VB.IP Virus [ 4 Answers ]

According to AVG my computer is infected with the I Worm/VB.IP virus but it will take too long to remove it with AVG (if it even can) because it has infected thousands of files and AVG asks me to remove each one. Do you have any info on removing this virus?

Worm medication [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a puppy from a farm. Last night I noticed something white in his stool. My husband informed me that the dog had worms. I called my vet to try to ge the dog in there sooner because of the issue. The office is closed on the weekends. So I went out and bought Hartz...

Zhelatin.ch worm [ 6 Answers ]

I've done full system scan with AVG Anti-Spyware Microsoft Malware Finder AVG Anti-Virus, and Spybot and I get a clean bill of health from all of them, but a little freebie called Malware Sweeper finds Zhelatin.ch I tell it to delete and it says it did but it does not.

Worm Pills [ 1 Answers ]

From a PM: ''Hay how are you? I just wanted to ask you a quick question. I have three dogs. A cat, 2 fish, so meds for all them can get expensive (not to mention the food) but I am sure you know this. Question do you think it is safe to order meds online for them? The last time I ordered they were...

Sasser.B.Worm [ 3 Answers ]

Was recently infected by Sasser.B.Worm virus. I loaded the Microsoft patch and the Norton Anti-Virus correction tool. Norton now says that their scan does not detect the virus. Part of Norton's instrcutions was to use their software to quarantine the infected files, which I did. ...

View more questions Search