Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:21 AM
    How to help a pitbull gain weight back?
    I have a pitbull which was left in the back yard of an abandon house, how do I help it gain it's weight back to it's initial size? Her ribs are showing and everything, she's a banter pitbull. Could someone quickly reply?:confused:
    holz1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by banter
    I wanted to know how do get my banter pitbull back to it's natural weight? I found her in an abonded house back yard and her ribs and everything is showing. Mr. Rick tried to answer my question but what is moving to forum mean?:confused: Please answer quickly!!!!
    For a start, id be taking her to a vet! She will need a balanced diet and weened back onto "normal" food. She's been malnourished for so long by the sounds of it, that forcing her to eat a whole lot could actually make her more ill.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 11:57 AM
    If she will eat it when you offer it to her, just stick to an ordinary dog chow. Perhaps a more concentrated, meat based one would be best. There are so many good ones, it is hard to go wrong. I once was given a young Lab with her ribs badly showing. A couple of months of 7 cups a day of Pro Plan, and she was a fine, lean, healthy dog. So if she will eat it, just keep piling on the chow. You don't want too fast of a weight gain. Nor do you want to over do it. See http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

If she won't eat what you are giving her, post back. It may just take a day or 2 to settle into her new home. We can make some suggestions on what else to try if she won't eat dog chow. It is really important not to let dogs get into eating other stuff. It is a real project, beyond the average dog owner, to assure a dog the complete and balanced diet it needs other than by feeding a dog chow.

Some other good people here may have slightly different ideas. Good people don't always agree on everything.

I am not sure where you originally posted your question. Rickj did the right thing moving it to the dog forum where those members knowing the most about dogs are likely to find it and give a prompt answer.

And thank you for taking her. What happened is very unfortuante. We need more good people like you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by banter
    banter disagrees: what is moved to dog forum- this does not help!
    You posted this in Medicine. I figured that it would have a better chance of being seen by our Dogs Expert if it were in the forum about Dogs.

I posted the notification so that you would not think it disappeared.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
    I moved Holz1's answer to this thread, and deleted the other thread. RickJ and I are just trying to keep things orderly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weight Gain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Was not to sure which category to put this under. Well I am a 33 year old female and I am 5'1 and weight about 95 or 96 lbs. I think I am underweight. But I eat like a pig. I am not picky at all with what I eat. So how would I go about gaining weight? What should I weight? I used to...

How Can I Gain Weight? [ 1 Answers ]

I Am 16 Years Old And Have A One Year Old Son. Before I Became Pregnant With Him I Weighed 115 Pounds. During The Pregnancy I Weighed 140 Pounds And I Now Weigh 104 Pounds. I Hate How Skinny I Look, I Hate The Way My Clothes Fit Me And I Have Never Had A Problem With The Way I Look But It Now Seems...

Weight gain [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22, height 155cm.50kg. I want to have expanded bones and more weight so that I will be looking like the person of correct age. Now I am looking like 15year boy. This makes me depression. Kindly give the suggestions and advice.

Weight Gain! [ 3 Answers ]

This question is also under Other (Health & Wellness): OK, let's see. I'm 5'10", 100 lbs, and have a very hyper metabolism. I'm 28 and have tried things like protein shakes/mixes with other meals, milk, bananas, etc. People tell me a lot, but I am getting no results. Does someone out there...

View more questions Search