Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerrymcconnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Rewiring in historic house
    I have plaster walls with lathe backing. In historic district so conduit that shows won't work, need to install new wiring and outlet boxes because upgrading service to today's standards and eliminating knob and tube wiring. Need help with installing wiring and boxes for outlets in the plaster walls, any tips other than tear up all the wall?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Is the house old enough that it used balloon framing? That is a single 2 X 4 running from foundation to attic. Have the outside walls had insulation added? When you said conduit, were you talking about the surface stuff commonly tacked up on the outside of the wall, or do you have to use it inside the wall? If you can use Romex or BX, it will be much easier to fish stuff up through the wall.

For outlet boxes, look at the old work boxes. The metal ones with the clip that expands behind the plaster when you tighten up a screw may wok better than the plastic ones that an ear fold out. You just cut a hole to fit, push the box in and tighten up the screws, and you have a solidly mounted box. Just buy lots of blades for your jigsaw. The plaster will dull them quickly.
    jerrymcconnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Exposed conduit was used in some areas inside and outside and must be replaced with "unobtrusive" wiring methods. The idiots that installed it also cut holes in the mahoghany baseboards that have to be patched, my problem. We have found some wire mold that blends with the top of the baseboard and the boxes can be papered or painted over to blend better, but the walls have firebreaks in the exterior walls anyway, haven't researched the interior walls, so drilling through is a problem. The house is 40 feet tall, 2 stories and an attic with mansard roof, so everything is really a challenge. Thanks for your input so far.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring a Chandelier [ 1 Answers ]

I am rewiring a chandelier as a plug-in light source instead of a hardwire source. Is there a "map" somewhere online with directions to follow so I can do it the right way? :)

Telephone Rewiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old 4-prong telephone jack in my house and I would like to install the current type of jacks that are used. The 4-prong has two wires hooked up to it, a solid blue and a blue & white wire. However, there are 5 extra sets of wires wound together in the wall. There are sets of green,...

Rewiring a basement. [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my previously unfinished basement. I've got all the framing done, and it's time for electrical before I get to drywall. My basement is very small, and there will simply be a den, and a bedroom. There are two 15amp circuits running to the basement currently. ...

Rewiring an old phone [ 1 Answers ]

How do wire an old dial-up phone so I can plug it into a regular jack?

Historic dress in Milan, Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Im searching for sketches of children's clothing in Milan, Italy around 1820. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search