Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rickenbanger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
    What difficulties are there in changing from a 80MB hard drive to a 500 MB hard drive
    I have an HP Pavilion 700 series that had some hard drive issues lately. It came with an 80 MB drive but I have recently replaced it with a 500 MB hard drive. I will need to reinstall the operating system with a recovery disk. Should I expect any more difficulties in getting my PC up and running again?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 05:49 PM

It would be best to format your HD before its first use. And set your partions as needed. Then do your reinstall of the OS. Just be patient. After you reinstall if its an old OS it will take awhile to upgrade back.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:49 PM

As mentioned, should format the drive first as NTFS and not FAT32

If install 2000 or XP,Windows 2000 / XP maximum hard drive size 137 gigabyte limit (So you would have to partiton drives accordingly
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 09:29 PM

Seahawk. There are ways around the 137 GB limit. It also depends on the service pak. I'm running XP Pro with 250 GB. Had 320 GB.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    Seahawk. There are ways around the 137 GB limit. It also depends on the service pak. I'm running XP Pro with 250 GB. Had 320 GB.
    Yes but the operating system has to already be installed to make edits to the registry and also have to at least have SP1 installed so XP can see above 137gb drives

So, can install with format or recover option and windows will install on 137gb and then have the rest as unallocated space
    -From there you would have to make the edits and then can use partition software to extend the primary partition (unallocated space) for the rest of the space

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

My friend got caught changing price at dillards $500 worth of clothing. [ 10 Answers ]

My friend got caught changing prices on some very expensive dress, it was about $500 worth of clothing. She was changing them in the dressing room. This is her 3rd time caught changing prices... but at different stores. Other 2 were at walmart, this time it was dillards. What should she...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Do I need to reformat hard drive if changing cpu? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I am running windows Vista Home Basic. And I currently have a Pentium 4 531 (3.0 GHZ) and I am thinking of purchasing a Pentium 4 670 (3.8 GHZ)... And I was wondering if reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Vista is needed? If so I might as well buy a bigger SATA hard...

Drive letter for added hard drive not showing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have just added a second hard drive, with the jumpers set to slave. The bios does recognize the drive and the ribbon cable has been tested and is good. When the My Computer Icon, the drive letter for the second drive is not shown. There are two CD ROM's installed on the secondary IDE...

View more questions Search