Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coastalpm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
    Passed gas pressure test at 15 psi, but pressure slowly drops, is this OK?
    Passed inspection on our gas line for a remodel. Have about five capped gas outlets. Pressure held @ 15 psi for 15 minutes but slowly drops about one psi every half hour or so. Is this normal or do I need to search for a gas leak?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 03:00 PM

Hi Coastal...

There is a reason they only require 15 minutes and that is because temperature and pressure are related to each other in such a way that an increase or decrease in temperature will present a corresponding change in the pressure of a system.

For gas tests this means that if you test in the early AM that by noon on a hot day the pressure would increase or by the late afternoon would decrease as the temperatures drop.

All that being said, it is pretty easy to pump everything up again to say 50 PSI... as long as you disconnect everything (including the meter)... and soap up all joints just to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you want to discuss more... OK?

Mark
    kryostar Posts: 108, Reputation: 11

Aug 8, 2010, 05:02 PM

I agree massplumber,we pump gas lines up and leave overnight before inspection just to be sure,and it makes it much easier to find leak with a higher pressure in there.
    luisrivera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 09:18 PM
    Hi I have. A inspector that faild my gas told me that I have to fix leak I fix the leak but the prsuer slowly drops about half of one psi per 15 minuts will it pass inspection?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 06:09 AM

Hi Luis...

Frankly, who cares if it will pass the test! The larger issue is the leak and gas leaking in the future, right?

First, hopefully you disconnected your gas meter... ;)

Second, I'd pump the system up to 40-50 LBS. and then go around and soap up every joint/valve and valve handle being tested. For best results use a gas testing soap... sold at all home improvement stores. These steps should reveal the leak and keep you and your family safe!

After you reconnect everything soap all connections you reconnected for best result, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure Tank PSI and Cut in/out PSI. Well [ 8 Answers ]

I have several related problems concerning my water. Pressure tank is at 45 PSI Water Pump only builds pressure to 20PSI. Only air is flowing when I turn on a faucet. The pump does not turn off at 20psi. But it does not build past 20PSI. Small house. 1 Kitchen Sink, 1 Bathroom Sink, 1...

Can't get pressure over 25 psi in my pressure tank [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, For some reason I can't get the gauge for my water tank to go over 25 psi. The problem started about a month ago. We have three bathrooms (2 upstairs one downstairs.) The water pressure use to be great, two people could shower in the two upstairs bathrooms at the same time and still have great...

Capacity of 6" schedule 40 pipe at 3 psi. Natural gas pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Capacity of 6" schedule 40 pipe at 3 psi. And, where can I find a pressure table for capacities of various size pipes at various inlet pressures

How do I test gas pressure? [ 12 Answers ]

My main burner is lighting, but only staying a short blue flame. It will not increase with adjusting the thermostat, which I've tested and even replaced... or any knobs under the panel. It just lights from the pilot and stays a small blue flame across both sides. Any ideas? How would I...

View more questions Search