Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colepea Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 09:13 AM
    AC does not work
    My A/C does not work. I have checked the breakers and the thermostat and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. The fan does not spin but there is some air coming out of the vent. Now I am lost andnot sure what to look for if I open the A/C unit outside.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 11:10 AM

Does the outside unit come on?

Aug 8, 2010, 11:41 AM

No the outside unit does not come on.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 12:00 PM

Probably should be a Sticky for A/C's.
    Many systems have an inside Unit(Air Handler) and the outside unit called a Compressor Unit. They Usually will have separate 240 Volts supplying a Disconnect/Switch for each unit.
    On these, the inside unit will have a 240 to 24 volt transformer that goes to thermostat then to relays or contactors for Blower, Heat strip, and Compressor.
    When set to cool, power goes from thermostat to compressor and blower relays, and for heat it energizes heat and blower relay.
    If thermostat is activating fan or anything, the transformer is good.
    I would verify power in and out of breakers, disconnects.

Aug 8, 2010, 02:55 PM

There is power in and out all the way to the outside unit. I used one of the dohickies contrapsions sold at the Lowe's tof verify current is flowing to all the way to capacitor at the outside unit.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 03:00 PM

Does the inside fan work?
    Do you have 24 volts to outside units contactor coil terminals?

Aug 8, 2010, 03:15 PM

The fan does not spin and I do have voltage at the coil terminal. I don't know what the voltage is because I respect anything that deals with 240V. Little scared to mess in there with the current flow. Feel a lot comfortable with the power off.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 05:55 PM

This could be as simple as a bad 240 to 24 volt transformer or fuse,
    A Tech might manually override the contactor to see if the Outside compressor/Fan is working.

Aug 8, 2010, 05:58 PM

How do you go about overiding the contactor?
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 06:11 PM

If someone aware that Electricity can Kill can safely push Contactor closed with a Insulated Stick/screwdriver. But if you don't have 24 volts to contactor coil when set to cool, you have a transformer/thermostat problem, Don't know if you got a reaction out of your thermostat?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legalities of neighbors to turn my water off to work in their home/cut walls to work? [ 9 Answers ]

My downstairs neighbor moved in 2 years ago. It seems like they don't realize we live in a 2 story condo not a custom home. One top another bottom. There are other questions I wish to ask as well. But first the male occupant is a handy man and has been doing lots of modifications to his home since...

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? [ 2 Answers ]

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? They are also known an point of sale and kiosks like the ones in mcdonalds or leisure centres

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? [ 2 Answers ]

How does POS retail tills work, cash registers with touch screens how do they work? They are also known an point of sale and kiosks like the ones in mcdonalds or leisure centres

View more questions Search