Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennie112284 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Do I have to sign divorce papers in North Carolina
    Do I have to sign dicorce papers. I'm in North Carolina. Just trying to find out how long I can go without siging them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 09:46 AM

It's impossible to say without knowng - specifically - which papers you are talking about. Have you been served with papers for a divorce and are asking how long you have to respond to them?

Or something else?

I can help but I need more info.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie112284 View Post
    do i have to sign dicorce papers.[?]
    No. You don't have to sign anything, unless you have been ordered to by the court. And I can't imagine your being ordered to sign "divorce papers".
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 06:19 AM

You can go forever without signing them. That won't stop the divorce from occurring though. If you were served with papers, you will have a set period... 30 days in FL - might be different in NC to sign them or the opposing party can have an uncontested decree ordered.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    ... sign them or the opposing party can have an uncontested decree ordered.
    That is if you fail to sign the papers and do nothing else. That would be essentially a "default judgment" divorce.

To avoid an uncontested decree, simply file something (an answer), indicating that you don't agree with what you spouse is asking for. That would be the way to make the divorce "contested".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is wilmington North Carolina? [ 4 Answers ]

I just basically wanted to know how wilmington was.is it safe and pretty much a safe place to live. I no that everywhere can have it faults.but just a quick breaf about it in general would be helpful.or if you live there now.. let me know the area and how it is.thanks?

Do I have to sign divorce papers [ 9 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. Do have to go through with it? He wants me to sign papers.

Spouse refusing to sign divorce papers. [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, Me and my spouse were married in NYC in 1999. I left with my children and relocated to Atlanta in 2006. I have a temporary child support order. My spouse still resides in NYC and was served divorce papers in November 2008 after we agreed to each term. He refuses to sign them after I have...

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Moving to North Carolina [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering moving to NC. We're looking for: affordable housing (200-300K), a small community (50,000 - 100,000 pop.) close to a larger city (we like city life but don't want to live right in it) and somewhat close to the water, say 2 hours. NC seems appealing because of the...

View more questions Search