Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilywamhp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Horse taking short choppy strides of cantar
    The thoroughbread horse at the barn I ride at every day has lately been trotting really fast and refusing to cantar when I do get him to cantar it is very short choppy strides. Also when I get him to cantar he bucks and goes crazy. What should I do about this and what is it caused from??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 08:36 AM

Who owns the horse? Are you paying to ride or is this a friend's horse?

Aug 10, 2010, 01:31 PM

It is a friends horse but I am taking lessons on him. Why?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 02:26 PM

Because the horse is attempting to buck you off which is dangerous for both you and the horse and the owner has enormous liability if you get hurt. Also, the person giving the lessons, being familiar with the horse, is the one to ask this question.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 02:29 PM

Horses don't like to canter. When horses canter naturally, it's done for only a short time. "In the canter, one of the horse's rear legs – the right rear leg, for example – propels the horse forward. During this beat, the horse is supported only on that single leg while the remaining three legs are moving forward." (Wikipedia)

For some reason, this horse is quite unhappy when he canters. His rear legs may be the problem (maybe a shoe isn't feeling right) or maybe he feels like his rider isn't sitting right -- you do have to sit a certain way to move your horse into a canter. You may be the real problem for how you are sitting on him.

Don't try to force him into this gait. Above all, DO NOT whip him or slap him on the head or sides or kick him with your heels or yell at him to force him into a canter. Discuss this with your riding instructor.

Aug 11, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Oh I don't use a crop with him and do u think this may relate to a rear leg injury that he had years ago?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 09:10 AM

If he bucks when you shift your body correctly to canter him, he definitely has a problem with that gait. Since all his weight is on one rear leg when he canters, he must be favoring that leg, so yes, it probably has to do with his old injury. Plus, his legs are thin and fragile due to the breed he is, so that's another reason to not force him into a canter. You'll reinjure his leg.

Are there quarterhorses or sturdier horses to ride?
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 01:14 PM

Again, the owner/teacher doesn't know?

Aug 12, 2010, 12:36 PM

(wondergirl)oh yeah there are and thanks for the help I'm learning from it! (judy kay tee) if you don't want to help me you don't have t so I prefer you don't be rude
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilywamhp View Post
    (wondergirl)oh yeah there are and thanks for the help im learning from it!
    I'm glad I could help. I've learned that any animal has good reasons for acting the way it does. We humans have to learn how to think like they do so we can figure out what might be wrong. If you're interested, read Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin, a farm animal activist with a Ph.D. in animal science and who has Asperger's (autism). In that book, she has a very cool chapter on horses.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilywamhp View Post
    (wondergirl)oh yeah there are and thanks for the help im learning from it! (judy kay tee) if you dont want to help me you dont have t so i prefer you dont be rude

Where do you see that I was rude? The owner is standing there, presumably giving you lessons, and the horse is attempting to buck you off and you're on a public board asking for advice.

See anything wrong or strange about this picture?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 01:25 PM

Ily, Judy wasn't being rude. I had asked you pretty much the same question. We both wonder why your instructor (or the owner) didn't warn you away from pushing this particular horse into a canter.

Do you take lessons once a week or somesuch, and are able to go to the stable and ride any other time to try out what you've learned? Is this thoroughbred your assigned horse?

Aug 14, 2010, 07:19 AM

I haven't exactly figured out yet what caused the horse to suddenly get better but he is now back to his normal self again. :)
    Thanks again , ilywamhp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

Choppy sound for PS3 [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my PS3 for a little more then a year now and it just started playing really choppy sounds for video games. It doesn't do it on movies or Bluray or cd's. Just video games. Even the ones that are saved to my hard disk. Anyone have any idea's to fix it or what may be wrong so I can get it...

Strides in riding [ 2 Answers ]

How do you count strides in horse back riding in trot ? Thanks please answer Horses4eva

Choppy Gameplay [ 21 Answers ]

I recently wiped everything off my computer, and now, I can't play any games w/o it getting all choppy. I have all drivers but some multimedia driver, but I don't know if that's the reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

View more questions Search