Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plin32303 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Ow-tone "gas-flame like" sound near center of the house
    Since two weeks ago we began to notice a low-tone "gas-flame like" sound near center of the house. It comes on for about 5 seconds and off for about 23 seconds, continuously 24/7. The sound is gone when the water is shut off from the water-meter. All of the faucets, bathroom water tanks, and outdoor spigots are checked and found to have no leak. Please help us solve this mystery. Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 12:52 PM

Since the sound goes away when the supply is off, you obviously have a leak. My guess is a leaky toilet flapper causing the ballcock to cycle-phantom flush. That's the only thing that cycles. Put some food coloring in the toilet tank and see if the water in the bowl changes color. If it does, the flapper is bad, warped etc, very common. Easy replace but check the seat to make sure its not cracked or pitted. Repair kits for that are available at little cost. Hope this solves your problem. Let us know.
    plin32303 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Since the sound goes away when the supply is off, you obviously have a leak. My guess is a leaky toilet flapper causing the ballcock to cycle-phantom flush. Thats the only thing that cycles. Put some food coloring in the toilet tank and see if the water in the bowl changes color. If it does, the flapper is bad, warped etc, very common. Easy replace but check the seat to make sure its not cracked or pitted. Repair kits for that are available at little cost. Hope this solves your problem. Let us know.
    Dear ma0641: Thanks for taking time to help me solving my problem. Unfortunately, it does not work. I did what you suggested with food colors. I even shut off all water valves leading to the toilet water tanks. The cyclic sound continues. What now? I need more help. Please. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
    It still has to be something related to the water system if it goes away when you turn off the water. You can usually turn off the house water at 2 places, at the valve box and inside the house. Turn off the valve inside the house and leave the street valve open. Anything change? Leave the water on and go to the hot water heater. On the top or side of the heater is a T&P safety valve, connected to a pipe. Sometimes they go bad and will cycle as they relieve pressure although not usually systemic like this. See if you can hear it there. Turn off the cold water valve into the hot water heater. Any change? Where do you live? Have a swamp cooler? There is s fill valve on them. I would start shutting off everything that has a water supply-boiler, ice maker, sprinkler control valve, There aren't many more things left. We'll figure it out.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 03:21 PM

Do you have a water softener, or R.O. system? ma0641 gave good advice, please let us know what you find.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 05:50 PM

Do you have a basement? And if you do is it possible that you have a pump in the basement. Something like a condensate pump that is discharging water but the line is partially stopped up and it is not emptying the tank the way it should.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 05:59 PM

Might be but they stated the sound goes away when the water to the house is turned off. Condensate pumps don't use water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

"EQ" Load Center catalog # EQ4X16A (ITE Panel) [ 45 Answers ]

To all, My current "Honey Do" is to upgrade from AL to CU cabling. I hit a wall when I pulled the main panel door. Attached is a picture of the installed panel. All labels are eaten or scratched/rotted away. I believe that Noah had installed a similar panel on his Arc before the rain storm. ...

Indicates "False flame or gas valve relay shorted" ? [ 7 Answers ]

My 8 yo Frigidaire gas furnace is on the fritz. It does come on and funs for short cycles but it turns off well before it heats enough to trigger the thermostat, then it turns back on and runs again... over and over... Between the on/off cycles the red light on the board is flashing continuous...

"True n' Tone Skin Lightner Cream"--contains HQ [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Toilet 9" center on slab going to 12" center - HOW [ 4 Answers ]

I took out an American Standard toilet with a 9 inch from the wall center. I want to install A 12 inch from the wall Toto water saving toilet. I am working on a slab (no basement). Is there an adaptor I can use? If so do I have to raise the toilet to make room for the adapter? OR is there...

View more questions Search