king94 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
    Difference between single phase and three phase supply
    What is the different between single phase & three phase
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 11:54 PM

This comes up periodically.

Can you tell me why you need to know? For what application?

Curious.
    lobstertrap Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Aug 8, 2010, 09:48 AM

3 phase is used for higher power requirement, single phase no, just low power. 3 phase comes at you in 3 pulses, each lagging the other by degrees. and is wired different than 1 phase, in what's called a star-delta or a wye configure. I have seen reduced-voltage Magnetic Starters with mechanical interlocks and overload relay heaters gr because a motor is a inductive load an if it goes into locked rotor condition you neerd the overloads to trip and shut down the circuit before trouble. With heating or lighting loads, which is resistive, not inductive, you do not need a overload, no. There would be no lock rotor potential like in a inductive motor load so that's the difference right there.
    lobstertrap Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Aug 9, 2010, 12:53 PM

3 phase can be a smaller motor than 1 phase.
    chris54 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2010, 12:29 PM

Three phases are used to sort of 'simulate' DC.
    Why not use DC in the first place?
    Because it is difficult/expensive to step DC up or down.
    Why step it up/down?
    Because the higher the voltage, the lower the current. The lower the current the lower the losses. If you want to 'transport' or transmit electricity over longer distances, then you need high voltages to keep the losses down. It's technically easy to step up voltages (using a transformer).
    Regards,
    Chris
    ibadullah Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
    The difference between single phase and three phase is that the single phase is just an alternating waveform of about 110 or 120 volt where as two phase are the two alternating waves that are 180 degree apart from each other i.e. when one of the signal is +ve the other signal is -ve and vice versa thus giving us the continuous power where as three phase contains three signals that are 120 degree apart from each other thus giving the continuous power
    skathan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
    Phase means the differnce between the waves, through which the current flows. 1 phase consists of 3 wires , 1 phase 1 neutral and 1 stay wire. 3 phase consists of 5 wires , 3 phases(R, Y, B), 1 neutral and 1 stay wire. In most of the transformers 3 phases are mostly used except the road side transformers because the voltage of 3 phase is 440v. In domestic appliances 1 phase is used because the voltage required is 230v.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

Difference between single phase three phase supply [ 1 Answers ]

Please let Me know What are thedifference between single phase three phase supply please Email me<email address removed>

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

Why we use a capacitor in single phase but not in three phase motor?

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between single phase and three phase motor

Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am new this community... You are doing great job of knowledge transfer... My question: Can three single phase loads be driven individually by single three phase supply? Please clear my doubt... :confused:

View more questions Search