Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbaraolsen70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Are you legally married if you marry under an alias?
    My brother recently passed away and his estranged wife is trying to take all that my nephews have left of their dad. Her daughter tells me that she married her 3rd husband under an alias... does that mean that she is not legally married? And in saying that, that marriage was not legal, does that mean any marriage after that one is also not legal? Please someone answer this for me. We are a family in so much pain and she is so hateful! I am at my wits end on the internet trying to find out information about her. My brother was only 48 years old and left two young son's in their early 20's and a 2 yr old grandson. Thank you for any and all help!!
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 7, 2010, 11:37 PM

WikiAnswers says, "no", the marriage is not legal.

WikiAnswers - Your friend got married using his alias is his marriage legal

Was your brother the third husband? Can you provide proof of this woman using an alias when she married? If she did use the alias when marrying husband number three - was she still using that alias when she met yoiur brother?

You need verification - court record, marriage certificate, something like that. Did your brother have a will, an attorney?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 06:24 AM

It appears to be a fraudulent marriage but I am not sure that it matters. It's the marriage to your brother that matters, and even then if they are divorced then I am not sure that even matters.

What was the actual status of their marriage when your brother passed? Did he have a will?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 02:06 PM

1) which in line was he as husband?

2) have all of her ex's come up dead?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 05:23 PM

A marriage under a false name is not legal, but it does not effect any future marriage.
    Patressa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
    I was married believing that my mothers boyfriend was my father, as my mom told us that his last name was my last name. Is my marriage legal even though my real maiden name was really something else?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Patressa View Post
    I was married believing that my mothers boyfriend was my father, as my mom told us that his last name was my last name. Is my marriage legal even tho my real maiden name was really something else??
    Please don't ask a new question in an old thread. It tends to confuse things.

The conclusion contained at the link in post no. 2 ("an alias name is not legal for the signing of any documents and that includes a marriage certificate." ) is probably incorrect. For one thing, the marriage certificate is signed by the minister or official who officiated at the wedding, not the person who got married.

You can use any name you want, as long as it's not for a fraudulent purpose. Therefore if you believed you used the "correct" name you weren't trying to defraud someone, and your marriage was probably legitimate.

Do you have your birth certificate? Does it show your real name?
    Patressa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
    I have. A birth certificate in one name but I was" married under another name. Do I need to divorce? My " husband " and I have been separated for over 18 years
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Yes, I believe you are legally married.
    rockyroad7748 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
    I need to know is a man gets married under his name given at birth, But he was adopted to use another last name. Would that marriage he used ( name given at birth) Be legal in the marriage according to courts?
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyroad7748;
    I need to know is a man gets married under his name given at birth, But he was adopted to use another last name. Would that marriage he used ( name given at birth) Be legal in the marriage according to courts?
    As I told someone else earlier in this thread,

Please don't ask a new question in an old thread. It tends to confuse things.

You can use any name you want, as long as it's not for a fraudulent purpose. Therefore if you believed you used the "correct" name you weren't trying to defraud someone, and your marriage was probably legitimate.
    What do you mean "according to the courts"? Is he being prosecuted for bigamy? Is he dead and his heirs fighting over his estate?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do legally if I unknowing married someone that was still legally married? [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do legally if I unknowingly married someone one that was still legally married? He ran a scam game under the pretense of love and left me without a car and drained all of my monetary funds.

Can my brother take my daughter to canada and legally marry her [ 19 Answers ]

Can my brother take my daughter to canada and legally marry her

Boyfriend still legally married [ 7 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a 43 year old man (I'm 39) for about a year and we came together out of our own marriages. I was married for 5 years and have been legally separated for almost 11 months. The man I'm with now was married for 16 years and they have a 16 year old daughter. He is...

Legally married? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom was married in jamaica... she is going through a rough marriage and I was wondering if there was any possibility she is not legally married?? She had her drivers license swiped in a restaurant the other day and it came up her maiden name even though her married name is on her drivers...

Wondering if I am legally married [ 12 Answers ]

I just found out that my husband has a legal marriage in Italy and was wondering if our marriage here in the united states is legal since he is already married in another country. Please Help. Worried Sick

View more questions Search