Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpl234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Where is the compression release on briggs and stratton 16.5hp
    Where is the compression release on briggs and stratton 16.5hp and should it be cleaned and adjusted?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 12:18 PM

Unless it's a 2 stroke. Which I doubt. There is no compression release.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2010, 03:54 PM

Its on the camshaft inside the motor.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 06:39 PM

Hi,
    It is built into the camshaft and goes "out of play" by the running of the engine. If you are asking because you feel you have a bad cam(improperly heat=treated-many existed) it is easy to see by removing the valve cover and watching the movement of the rocker arms. They move the same, problem is somewhere else; bottom one barley moves wold indicate a bad cam(they made about 120,000) and they do still turn up.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Aug 7, 2010, 08:11 PM

If this is just a starting problem, the valves are probably out of adjustment. The engine will hit the compression stroke and stop turning over. Adjusting the valves will take care of this most of the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compression release 15.5 briggs motor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15.5 Briggs and stratton engine on a Snapper mower and from what I have read in other forums I believe the compression release is not working the way it should. Not knowing a lot about engines I have so far replaced the starter (I broke it) the solenoid, and battery cables. The...

6.5hp Briggs and Stratton will not start. I have spark and gas but no compression. [ 6 Answers ]

This engine has a compression release and I think it is stuck open. I am not familiar with the release mechanism, a separate valve? Any help appreciated.

Adjust compression release on briggs 12.5 engine [ 2 Answers ]

My 12.5 briggs engine is approx 12-15 yr old. Runs fine when started but won't re-start after shut-off due to too much compression. I need to know where the compression release adjustment (internal I presume) is located and how to adjust it. I have had the solonoid checked & no problem there and...

Compression release 14hp briggs stratton [ 1 Answers ]

How to adjust compression release 14 hp briggs engine ohv,

20.5hp briggs, compression release valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Do these engine have a valve to release compression to make it start easier? I think mine is stuck shut cause its real hard to turn over

View more questions Search