Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelle799 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 10:59 AM
    2001 hyundai sonata won't start replaced starter
    I have a 2001 Hyundai Sonata that we have replaced the battery which was the solution and fix the initial problem. However, a week later I got into the car to start it and it would not turn over at all. My husband determined it was the starter so we have just replaced it. Now the car still will not start. Does anyone know why or what has caused this to happen and a solution or something else to look for? Please help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 11:10 AM

. If the starter motor won't crank:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

. If the starter motor cranks, but the engine won't start:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675

Aug 7, 2010, 11:46 AM

TxGreaseMonkey - Thank you for the info. I looked at those links on a previous post you had made and already tried those solutions to no avail. When the key is turned the starter relay clicks but no power goes to the solenoid, final guess is neutral safety switch? (After replacing the starter the car started 3 times but now is doing same thing again, not starting).
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelle799 View Post
    TxGreaseMonkey - Thank you for the info. I looked at those links on a previous post you had made and already tried those solutions to no avail. When the key is turned the starter relay clicks but no power goes to the solenoid, final guess is neutral safety switch? (After replacing the starter the car started 3 times but now is doing same thing again, not starting).
    No, if the starter relay is clicking, power is already through the neutral safety switch.
    You say the relay clicks but no power goes to the solenoid, but does any come out of the relay on that Purple wire? If not, replace the relay and repeat that last test. The contacts inside the starter relay may have gotten corroded and won't allow current through.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 12:14 PM

CaptainRich is right on target--the neutral safety switch is definitely OK. The starter relay and starter solenoid are the same thing. Clean all connections with abrasive cloth. If the problem persists, replace the starter motor and solenoid. The quality of aftermarket starters and alternators leaves a lot to be desired. Next time, try OEM. It wouldn't surprise me if the over-running starter motor clutch is bad.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Oh thank you both so much. We took the starter to Pep Boys and they tested it for us. It was not working, no current. We found another starter and replaced it. Now the car will turn over but will not run. Again, my hubby has done all the tests for the battery and fuses. He determined it needed a new fuel pump because when the key was turned to "on" you couldn't hear the pump come on. Now we have just replaced the fuel pump (15 minutes ago) and the car will still not run. AAGGHH this is so frustrating. I have clicked the link you gave me previously TxGreaseMonkey for the Basic Ignition Troubleshooting and we are performing all of those tests now. Any other ideas as to what the problem may be now? Again thank you for all your help TxGreaseMonkey and CaptainRich and anyone else who can assist.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 06:13 PM

Modern-day fuel pumps are extremely reliable and are almost never the problem. The problem is usually that the fuel pump doesn't run because of a fuse, ignition switch, ECM, or ECM ground.

I'm not familiar with your car, but the link below will give you perspective on where I'm coming from:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523

Use the link to give you ideas on troubleshooting your situation. See if there's a Haynes Manual for your car.

Aug 12, 2010, 06:21 PM

Ok, new update, we once again tested fuses, this time by pulling them out to look at them and waaalaaa, we found that the ECU fuses was blown. So we replaced it with a spare fuse and as soon as we started the car (we heard the fiel pump come on), the ECU fuse blew again. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Aug 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

Thank you and sorry I just read your response TxGreaseMonkey. I am taking that info to my hubby now. I will let you know.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 06:32 PM

You need to check this out carefully, but it sounds like there's a short in the ECM (computer) or with the wiring. Get a manual that covers the electrical system for your car. Find out what else, if anything, that fuse goes to; e.g. fuel pump relay, fuel pump, VSS, etc. Start checking everything out. From my experience, the problem is usually with a component that goes, not with the wiring harness. This is a generalization, however. Don't start just replacing parts--this usually doesn't work. Check all other fuses carefully, using a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Make sure other fuses are not blowing. Again, I don't think you have a fuel issue at all. Your whole problem involves why that fuse is blowing.

ECMs are not bullet proof. In fact, I frequently recommend replacing them every 120,000 miles or 10 years. If you buy a remanufactured ECM, shop for price and warranty. Remove your old ECM first and buy an exact part no. match--no substitutes! Because of the expense on an ECM, this is the last resort.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelle799 View Post
    Ok, new update, we once again tested fuses, this time by pulling them out to look at them and waaalaaa, we found that the ECU fuses was blown. So we replaced it with a spare fuse and as soon as we started the car (we heard the fiel pump come on), the ECU fuse blew again. Any thoughts on why this is happening?
    Exactly which fuse goes open? What size fuse is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Hyundai Sonata won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a problem with my 2001 Hyundai Sonata. It seemed like the motor would lose power and slow down. Then the power would come back and the car would quickly speed up. It has also been having a hard time starting. Sometimes I would have to try several times before it would start. I...

Where is the fuse link on a 2001 hyundai sonata [ 0 Answers ]

I have removed and checked the starter and the alternator. Both are supposed to be good still. I also removed the battery and they said it was low. They recharged it and I replaced it. It immediately went low. The guy checked and said the alternator was not working, although it was...

2001 Hyundai Sonata that won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, What a great site! My question is this. My wife drives a 2001 Hyundai Sonata with about 86,000 miles. I've never had this problem with the car before and of course it is sitting in our garage. She went out to start it this morning. It turns over easily, but will not start or...

2001 4 cylinder hyundai sonata [ 2 Answers ]

Facing the engine from the front bumper what is the order by number of the cylinders and what is the firing order. I am getting a "misfire on cylinder 3" code. Thank you

View more questions Search