Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don o sullivan Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Getting an insurance company to pay liability.
    My wife was recently after parking her car and having left it shortly afterwards returned top find another car had rolled back from a parked position and crashed into the side of hers.The local Gardai(police)were called and a report was made.The driver of the other car had giving her insurance details to the police and we were told to contact the insurance company in relation to the damage.My wife received a call from the company yesterday to say they would not accept liability and will not pay up.They said my wife should claim off her own insurance.THIS SOUNDS MAD.Does anyone have any experiences of the same.We live in Ireland.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by don o sullivan View Post
    THIS SOUNDS MAD.Does anyone have any experiences of the same.We live in Ireland.
    Hello don:

Sure. Insurance companies ALWAYS deny claims. That's how they make money. But, it's OK. I'm sure you have the equivalent of a small claims court in Ireland. Go there and SUE the driver.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 07:53 AM

Did they state why they weren't going to honor the claim?
    don o sullivan Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2010, 08:11 AM

No,they just gave her a reply on the phone,'that she should claim from her own company.It will cost them a lot more now,i.e.. solicitors,accessors and car hire.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:36 PM

They may be unwilling to pay because the other driver wasn't actually in the car -- did you ask your company what their thoughts on why the other company refused the claim? That's a good place to start. Perhaps they didn't find the other driver negligent; meaning she didn't do something that directly caused the accident (maybe the emergency brake malfunctioned causing the car to roll). [I'm only throwing out possibliities.]

You can always file with your company and then take the other person to court to try to recoup your losses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance company refusing to pay with water leaking in wall damage [ 5 Answers ]

I hopefully can alert others to the nightmare I am living with/facing now! After years of paying ALLSTATE for my condo homeowner's coverage, I find they have abandoned me. Assume all other policies/companies are the same. I take EXCEPTIONAL care and precautions against leaks under my sinks,...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to buy only liability insurance rather than the total homeowner's policy? I live near the water and the cost of insurance is prohibitive and the deductibles are ridiculously high. I do not however want to be without liability insurance.

Liability insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have been making herbal soaps and selling to my immediate friends and family, but now strangers want to buy and I need to find out what kind of insurance I should carry and where to get it.

View more questions Search