Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
    Water furnace?
    I currently have a heat pump which is approximately 7 years old. Although it works well, I am considering replacing it when the time comes with a geothermal type pump. Anyone have any experience with these units? Is the installation cost prohibitive over regular heat pump equipment? Is there substantial savings by changing to this system? I understand that there is some federal money available for changing to these systems, but is that enough to make it worth it with the new higher SEER ratings of modern equipment?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:51 PM

Yes, the federal tax credit 30% has no limit making geo a nice alternative. Before I told you what the best choice is I need to know. What part of the country? What kind? Ex. Ground loop, open loop, pond loop or vertical loop? Size of house? Water Furnace TM. Has a nice calculator on their web site. Or search for design star. Or maybe an air source heat pump is the better choice. Rheem http://rheem.com/contractorResults.a...PostalCode=461
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2010, 05:45 PM

Home is approx. 2800 sq.ft, two levels with the lower level being a walkout. Southern Missouri, near Branson on the Arkansas border. Current equipment is a 3 ton heat pump w/ electric heat. No water or pond source available, would have to be a ground loop system.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 09:13 AM

Geo will probably a slightly better choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know if there is water going to my furnace? [ 6 Answers ]

We just received oil but the furnace is not working... so my son started playing around the knob to bleed the water... why? I don't know I told him the oil line had to be bleed. Well the oil line is bleed. Now I don't know if he put the knobs back the way he found them. We are not getting heat...

Water in Furnace pump? [ 1 Answers ]

Remodeling my home. Currently sleeping in the basement, I awoke around midnight because the furnace was making an unusual noise. It's a forced air, gas system. I turned it off and took off the panels for inspection. It's a Lennox that is only about 6 years old. There is a air pump(?) that is...

Water and furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just discovered today that there is water all over my carpet in front of my furnace. You would think that it would be my water heater- however my water heater is not by my furnace. My furnace has been turned off since we use our gas fireplace that heats the house nicely. Any thoughts?

Water under Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Latley it has been raining heavily in Toronto (even everywhere in the wolrd! ). Somehow every time it rains so strong I get water in the basement under the furnace!! No water comes from the windoows or walls anywhere in the basement, just under the furnace!! I am not sure whether there is...

Why is my furnace leaking water? [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my furnace leaking water?

View more questions Search