Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spilatore Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Heating & cooling system
    I have a two zone heating/cooling system, with one generator unit. With this type of system, there are two trunk lines leading off the furnace. The dampers alternate when each thermostat indicates which one should turn on. One of the trunk lines has started making a loud whistle, indicating that the dampers are not opening properly. A slight turn of the bolts securing the dampers will "help" it open so it runs normally, but it does not last and I'm constantly running to the basement to do this. As a result, the basement, where the unit is located, is warm and the heat flow is not reaching the upstairs.

I had this problem several months back with the other trunk line/damper, but do not recall how it was fixed. I'm hesitant to call the company that installed it, because they charge $150 just to walk in the door and I have had them out twice in the last year. This is quite frustrating because the unit is less than 4 years old. It is the original piece of equipment as the house is new.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 19, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spilatore
    I have a two zone heating/cooling system, with one generator unit. With this type of system, there are two trunk lines leading off the furnace. The dampers alternate when each thermostat indicates which one should turn on. One of the trunk lines has started making a loud whistle, indicating that the dampers are not opening properly. A slight turn of the bolts securing the dampers will "help" it open so it runs normally, but it does not last and I'm constantly running to the basement to do this. As a result, the basement, where the unit is located, is warm and the heat flow is not reaching the upstairs.

I had this problem several months back with the other trunk line/damper, but do not recall how it was fixed. I'm hesitant to call the company that installed it, because they charge $150 just to walk in the door and I have had them out twice in the last year. This is quite frustrating because the unit is less than 4 years old. It is the original piece of equipment as the house is new.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    What kind of motor ( electric) drive the damper... is it direct drive or some kind of linkage... the damper rod may be too tight, linkage loose ( set nut,screw), or debris stuck at damper
    spilatore Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this question. If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say it is a direct drive. It started happened instantly, not gradually. Also, the furnace and damper keep turning on and the termostat upstairs is reading about 4 degrees higher than set, therefore the furnace and trunk line w/ the problem should not be running, and the basement is quite toasty.

I called the contractor who installed the unit and made the recent service calls. To fix this problem with the other trunk/damper, they added screws to duct work at damper to reduce whistle and rewired zone damper at the board. Clearly something that I cannot do.

What are your thoughts about keeping both dampers/trunk lines open and operating it as one unit? Several of my neighbors have done this as they have had this problem too, and they're happy with the way it is functioning. It just frustrates me because I like things to operate as they should w/out having to keep spending money to do so.

Thanks again
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 20, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spilatore
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this question. If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say it is a direct drive. It started happend instantly, not gradually. Also, the furnace and damper keep turning on and the termostat upstairs is reading about 4 degrees higher than set, therefore the furnace and trunk line w/ the problem should not be running, and the basement is quite toasty.

I called the contractor who installed the unit and made the recent service calls. To fix this problem with the other trunk/damper, they added screws to duct work at damper to reduce whistle and rewired zone damper at the board. Clearly something that I cannot do.

What are your thoughts about keeping both dampers/trunk lines open and operating it as one unit? Several of my neighbors have done this as they have had this problem too, and they're happy with the way it is functioning. It just frustrates me because I like things to operate as they should w/out having to keep spending money to do so.

Thanks again
    You could follow your neighbors, but it may not work in some area because the area father from the unit may not get enough air; if that is the problem you may reduce the damper at area closer to unit or/and increase the fan's speed ( increase fan speed may create noise)... If you disconnect the danper's linkage, wiring remember to save and mark all the parts... the damper not working properly because of bad part (design) and/ or installation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zone Alarm Firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP Home with Internet Explorer. For PC Protection I AVG Free Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware SE to detect and rmove Adware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware,Spybot,and Spyware Blaster to detect and remove spyware.Do you advise me to also download Zone Alarm Firewall protection. Some say yes and...

In the Thanksgiving Zone Now [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, cranberry chutney and pumpkin pie made, so its official... we're in the Thanksgiving Zone now. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

How do I wire a new FHW zone [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gas fired, forced hot water heating system with 3 zones. The zones are controlled by a TACO switching relay (SR506). I would like to add a 4th zone. That is relatively simple. I can add the circulating pump, etc. and can easily connect the new thermostat. But I do not want a...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

24v transformer to dampers keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

I've quickly blown two 110 to 24v 40va transformers. This transformer powers the electronic dampers from my furnace. I have 2 zones, 2 thermostats. I've also had problems blowing the 3amp fuse in my furnace itself when activating my zone 2 thermostat. All three of my damper motors test out OK,...

View more questions Search