Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darkhorserecords Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Bubbling toilet w/ harsh smell
    This is my first post so Im not sure where this belongs. I just thought plumbing is fitting. We recently finished off our basement with a full bathroom. About 4 months later the toilet seems to be bubbling and gurgling seemingly out of nowhere. This will sometime produce a horrible smell and sometimes leave a black film around the inside of the toilet bowl. We are on a septic tank system. ANY ideas about how this is happening and how to fix it would be GREAT. Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Let me explain about "Bubbles & Gurgles".
    Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe untill it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air,(sewer gas) ahead of it. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somwhere, in this case your toilet. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction, (gurgle).

For the "bubble and smell I would first check the septic tank to see if it needed to be pumped. Then I would open the cleanout and flush the toilet if there were a belch of air coming out of the cleanout then there's a blockage on down the line. While gurgles indicate a vent problem, in this case anything downstream of the toilet is suppect. Good luck, Tom
    BillyRay Stephens Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Dec 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorserecords
    This is my first post so Im not sure where this belongs. I just thought plumbing is fitting. We recently finished off our basement with a full bathroom. about 4 months later the toilet seems to be bubbling and gurgling seemingly out of nowhere. this will sometime produce a horrible smell and sometimes leave a black film around the inside of the toilet bowl. we are on a septic tank system. ANY ideas about how this is happening and how to fix it would be GREAT. thank you.
    It seems as though you have a venting problem which is not allowing the water to stay trapped in your toilet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubbling toilet [ 3 Answers ]

We have city sewer and live in a 4-yr old 2-story house with a garage underneath. We have a 15-yr old Maytag W/D on the top floor. When the laundry drains, the downstairs toilet bubbles (alot). This has been happening since we moved in to the new house. Recently, we have noticed a foul smell...

Toilet bubbling [ 1 Answers ]

I Just purchased a 55 year old house. The upstairs toilet bowl was empty for some reason but the tank was full. This toilet was disgusting so I replaced it. I have noticed that when I flush this new toilet on the upper floor a large air bubble comes out of the toilet bowl in the toilet in the...

Bubbling toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We have a super capacity washing machine and when it goes through the spin cycle the toilet bubbles in. When the cyle is finished the water level is lower than when the wash started. The first flush after the wash is finished is slow, is then it goes back to working great. Any...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Bubbling Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. For the past couple of months, we've noticed that when we flush the toilet upstairs, water bubbles up in the toilet in the basement. In fact, it is so explosive sometimes that water hits the closed lid. The home was built in the 60s and the basement toilet was added in the 70s. This problem...

View more questions Search