Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lugi32 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Cannot pull-out the blower wheel and motor assy from a Bryant HVAC
    The blower wheel has a larger diameter than the opening of the air chamber. The blower wheel is damaged. Something inside the unit caused four of the vanes of the blower wheel to break off and jam the motor. This is a Bryant HVAC built in 2006. Has anyone else had this problem with an internal part breaking loose and destroying the blower wheel? Now how to pull out the blower wheel from the air chamber.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 02:34 PM

Blower wheels break all the time. I'm not sure if you are trying to remove the whole blower housing from the equipment or the blower wheel from the blower housing?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 04:46 PM

If you are trying to remove the blower wheel from the squirell cage, most cages have a removeable piece that allows the wheel to be removed. Look the unit over very carefully and you will see what I'm talking about.

Aug 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
    I am trying to remove the blower wheel from the blower housing. This is a Bryant HVAC SYSTEM model number 310JAV066110ACJA built and installed in 2006 and has been running goood until now when the blower wheel disintegrated. What part of the bell housing has to be removed to pull the blower wheel out? Is it the upper or lower part? Note: the blower housing is in good shape, did not get damaged when the blower housing disintegrated. Will not remove the blower housing.

Aug 6, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Is this true that blower wheels break apart all the time inside the squirrel cage? I had another HVAC system for 7 plus years and That system's blower wheel never broke apart. I sold that house and that HVAC system is still running good.
    Troyhoo Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lugi32 View Post
    The blower wheel has a larger diameter than the opening of the air chamber. The blower wheel is damaged. Something inside the unit caused four of the vanes of the blower wheel to break off and jam the motor. This is a Bryant HVAC built in 2006. Has anyone else had this problem with an internal part breaking loose and destroying the blower wheel? Now how to pull out the blower wheel from the air chamber.
    Hi, to take the wheel out of the blower you need to take the plate out of the output opening to make it large enough to remove the wheel. All of them I have seen have a screw on each side and two on front above the opening holding this plate. I am sure you noticed you must first remove the 3 screws on the motor mount, and loosen the one on the spindle to separate the motor from the wheel first. Sometimes its hard to get the shaft out of the blower wheel, if you have a autohammer tool (Ridgid , ryobi and craftsman all offer them in a cordless version) they work very well for vibrating out the shaft. Once its flush you might have to use a rod to hit it all the way out, but usually is the easiest least damagingway to do it. Unless you are able to some how repair the wheel, probably can get a whole blower more easily than just the wheel. (If you keep an eye out you can probably find one being thrown away by those having a new system installed) If the wheel is in sound condition, you could remove the damaged vanes and the ones directly on the opposite side to make sure the wheel stays balanced, If its not balanced properly it will wear the bearings out in the motor, or could even cause the blower to oval out and start rubbing the blower housing. At the very least it will make noise if not balanced. Hope that was helpful. Good luck with it. Troy
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lugi32 View Post
    Here watch the video. This guy is a bit strange BUT he will show you how to do what you want to do.

YouTube - ‪HVAC Blower cleaning.‬‎!

Aug 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Thanks and many thanks to you. I finally removed the blower wheel. This is very much appreciated. Now, I just have to get a replacement wheel.

Aug 9, 2010, 01:28 PM
    I finally removed the blower wheel. Did not have any trouble removing the blower wheel from the motor. I jist revoved the set screw from the shaft and the wheel came off. Unfortunately, The blower wheel has to be replaced. Five of the blades are bent and three are broken off,

Aug 9, 2010, 01:30 PM
    Noted your advice and finally removed the blower wheel. Thank you.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 04:08 PM

Glad your making progress. Hope things go smoothly.

Aug 10, 2010, 01:02 AM
    Glad you are making progress as well, much to my surprise there are several wheels listed on eBay, for reasonable buy it now prices. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=blower+wheel+hvac&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Motor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=blower+wheel&_ osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 But there are many sizes, and don't forget the all important details of rotation direction and position of the hub plate in relation to the wheel edge. Unless the rim or hub is also damaged also you likely can straighten or remove the damaged vanes, and the ones directly across from them on the same side of the hub plate, (you can use a ruler edge placed on the position of the missing vane, and centered on the motor shaft, to find the vane to remove on the other side which can be difficult to exactly determine otherwise)the blower should work, at least well enough to hold you till you can find a replacement at a reasonable price. Worse that happens is you find its not balanced enough to use with out consequences and you still need an immediate replacement, but you may even find performance is not reduced so much that you need a new wheel. Best hopes. Have a good one. Troy

Aug 10, 2010, 01:14 AM

Glad you are making progress as well, I see surprisingly to me there are many wheels on eBay for decent buy it now prices!(at least when compared to whole blowers)
    blower wheel hvac items - Get great deals on Business Industrial, Home Garden items on eBay.com!
    Lots of sizes to look through though and don't forget the all important details of rotation direction and hub position from the wheel edge. Unless the hub or rim is damaged also you should be able to straighten or removed the damaged vanes and the ones directly across from them on the same side of the hub plate(you can find the ones to remove more certainly with a ruler edge places on the removed vane's position, and the center of the motor shaft to point directly across from it. You may find performance is not so reduced you need a new wheel, or at least before you can find a decent replacement price. Worse that happens is its too unbalanced to use with out consequences and you really do need a new one now. Best hopes and have a good one. Troy

Aug 10, 2010, 01:21 AM

I see my first post made it after all.lol there was no sign of it after it asked me to sign in again and appeared to have lost my message! Sorry for the redundancy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC blower motor will not turn off [ 6 Answers ]

Carrier Model 58ES080-30 HVAC blower motor will not turn off. Help?

Hvac blower motor not working [ 2 Answers ]

HVAC blower motor does not come on in either the heat mode, a/c mode. Or fan only mode. However, it comes on in emergency heat mode. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Blower Wheel rotation for Bryant 373LAV060-115 gas furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Is the rotation clockwise shaft end or lead end?

HVAC blower motor--screwed up wiring-- HELP [ 11 Answers ]

Relaced blower motor, but wires are different from old motor--can hear it click on, but nothing else. Have part and model numbers for old motor (GE), new motor (Dayton-PSC), and HVAC (Goodman) Please Help-- am burning up here--(south texas)

View more questions Search