Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raynemaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Hold on bank account
    I deposited my federal student loan check in my bank account and a hold was placed on the account by an unknown creditor. I never received notice. Can my federal studen loan monies be held if it is to be used for education?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Once it goes into your checking or savings account, it is just money,

They can not attach the actual check, and had you cashed the check and paid the college with the cash, nothing can happen, but they can attach any and all money that goes into a checking account.

And OK, you owe somebody who has been trying to collect money for some time, they have sent you letter after letter asking you to pay them and you did not work out a payment plan with them.

So when you say unknown is it that you owe so many people you don't know who would do this?

But someone went to court and got a judgement against you, and then got an attachment for all of your money in your bank account, and if that does not cover the debt can also get a garnishment of your pay check.

Now if you don't actually owe them the money, of if they did not use proper notification in your state ( or county) then you can file a motion in the court that issued the attachment to set aside.

And the bank will have a copy of a court order showing what court and what court case ordered this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Go to the bank and ask to see a copy of the order. That will tell you who the creditor is.

I also wonder how this got so far as a garnishment without you knowing anything about it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank Account Attachment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 3 Answers ]

A gargishment was set in our bank account the day before thanksgiving, we were not notified by the creditor by phone or certified mail , is this illegal ? How long does the process take to submit a garnishment on an account?

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search